Just bought a 76 2002

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I just bought a 1976 2002 for $700 and will pick it up tomorrow night. Can not wait! It has some rust around the rear wheel well and on the bottom sides and 215k miles (as it says 21578 on the odometer?). It started O.K. after some tinkering with the point/dwell. I was told that one of the spark plugs would not come off and is there a trick to loosen and take out the spark plug without doing any damage?

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

I would guess that the car has x21,578 miles on it (where x is 0, 1, 2, or 3). Try soaking the spark plug in penetrating oil for a while. The main thing is to not damage the head while removing the spark plug. You may need to remove the head.

Guest Anonymous

How would I know if the odometer 'x' is 1, 2 or 3?

And also the accelation rod has a linkage that goes under the chassis and is connected to something - do you know what it is connected to?

And also which repair manual would be good for 76 BMW 2002?

Thanks-

Jim

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

Perhaps little more than a blind stab attempt to answer the questions you've asked, I'll nevertheless try! I'd suggest first checking for maintenence tags and reciepts that are usually scattered all over a newly acquired '02. Oil change stickers, tire reciepts, etc. can be found hidden beneath the carpets, wedged behind the glove box along the front bulkhead/firewall, behind the seat pads, or gathering dust and muck in otherwise inaccessible reaches of the trunk. A trace of the ownership of the vehicle might be performed, but not having done this myself, I'm not in a position to advise. Hemmings Motor News may have ads. for firms that research such matters. In relation to question #2, no '02 will go 200-300K without nearly every major mechanical system recieving informed and sympathetic attention. Those '02's that proudly display intergalactic mileage readings are not the result of accident. Careful documentation is more the norm if such mileage is shown, the owner usually taking great pains to explain how his or her example escaped the usual fate of a consumer durable. I believe that the miles indicated upon your odometer in the absence of documentation reflects a normal used vehicle that has recieved ordinary service but little more - hence your example probably has 1XX,XXX original miles on it rather than 200 or 300K. I'm unable to offer insight concerning the mystery linkage beneath your car unless someone may have converted an automatic to a standard shift model and left select hardware in place. You'll notice a lot of digital images posted here - a terrific aid to understanding and something I wish I had. In relation to service manuals, the Haynes BMW 1600 & 2002 publication is available and cheap. ISBN is 0 85696 240 6. People usually go further to pick up a CD-ROM factory manual at the dealership, or opt for paper originals or reprints available for approximately $90. This can wait. The Haynes manual will meet 90% of your needs, while the board will carry you the last 10% of the way or more! Good luck and welcome to the community!

Mike K.

'74 '02 Malaga