Guest Anonymous

head gasket sealants? do they work?

14 posts / 1177 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I want to start off by saying, I would never use that stuff in my 2002...

but... my other car is only worth $3,000 and I'm really poor and have no money to fix it. (it's a giant truck. i can't even afford to drive it because of gas prices. and i hate trucks.)

Does this stuff work???

http://www.autobarn.net/blue-devil-engine-and-cooling-sealant.html

or

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-11150-3-k-and-w-products-kw-nanotechnology-permanent-head-gasket-block-repair-32-fl-oz-401232.aspx

What's the best kind? Or is it just a waste of money?

I've read that some of them are like a liquid glass - so there must logically be a better one than others? Some have other things added, some don't?

The head gasket is blown/broken or the head is cracked. Something like that. Thick white smoke from tail pipe. Oil and Antifreeze crossed. Wet sparkplug once? I think. Haven't driven the truck in months.

I replaced the starter thinking it was a starter problem at first - someone told me it was - it wouldn't start. but that turned out not to be the problem.

I couldn't afford to replace my broken radiator so that's how i blew the headgasket or cracked the head. driving with tap water and holes.

I have replaced the radiator now, and the water pump.

everything had rusted from driving with leaks and tap water :(

could anything else i can't see be rusted???

I think I have replaced everything but the blown head gasket/cracked head.

Should I use the sealant stuff?

Or what should I do? I need this car either as a back up car or I want to sell it and buy a cheap back up car and try to buy my mom a cheap car too ($1000?) because she is homeless a needs a car to live in. Or maybe I will give her the truck to live in - but she prob. can't afford the gas.

If I used the sealant stuff, would it be a permanent fix?

Or should I try to get some boys to fix the head gasket? Is it worth it? I hate this truck and want to sell it.

Thanks for your help. I only trust 2002 people for ANY car help :)

Guest Anonymous

oh yeah and what about this one?

http://www.steelseal.com/

at first it was my first choice, but now i think it seems more like a scam one?

Guest Anonymous

also i read this:

"if your car is leaking coolant through the exhaust and blowing white smoke as soon as you turn it on, your seals are gone"

and that the head gasket sealants can't fix it if your seals are gone...

is this true?

could mine be gone?

I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than having to spend money you can't afford on a vehicle you have to sell. Been there, done that...

As for this stuff, I have no experience but I would imagine it says 'your results may vary' on the bottle. If you can afford it, it may be worth a shot before you pass it on but I can easily see you spend the money and see no benefit.

I am assuming the truck is domestic? On this basis, the parts involved shouldn't be too much and, if the head is warped you may find a better second hand head on Craiglist or similar. This way you can be sure it will work and you can even point at the receipts for the work to help with the price you may get when you sell the truck.

Get a Haynes manual and do it yourself. See if a mechanically minded friend can help you. I would but I think I live a long way from you.

Guest Anonymous

how can i tell if the head is warped?

yeah its an american truck

someone also told me about being able to take out the head and take it to a machine shop and they can sand it down or something???

In a workshop manual (Haynes or similar) it should give a value for the maximum amount it can be out of true and successfully rebuilt. This can usually be determined with a steel ruler laid with its edge along the length of the cleaned off face of the casting. If you can pass a feeler gauge of this stated size under the ruler then your head is warped.

This can be fixed, as you point out, by machining but this generally needs the head to be disassembled (which may increase your costs) over a good second hand head. That being said, it could be a crack in the casting which is best detected by a pro who knows what they looking for / can test.

I would pull the head, check for warp myself. Hopefully there is an obvious split in your head gasket (if there is no obvious problem then it increases the chances that there is a crack). Replace the gasket and reassemble.

If you think there is sign of it being warped or any other obvious damage then take it to a local shop who can do a more detailed assessment.

Having no idea about your mechanical skills I would strongly advise getting a manual first, read what it says and honestly consider your ability to complete the job. Also, the tools you may need to have to be found from somewhere, you will need a reasonable tool kit for this job including a torque wrench. If you know anyone who can help you with this I suggest you get their help.

No additives will fix a blown head gasket, they may work for 5 minutes or so. If you buy a used car first thing to check is if any of this junk is in the radiator. Less then reputable sellers/used car salesmen stick it in an otherwise busted car so you can test drive it around the block w/o noticing the failing engine. Don't even think of this gambit: Leads to small claims court and rock salt on your lawn.

You should only need the head 'milled' if the truck overheated.

New head gaskets aren't really expensive, maybe $100. Shade tree mechanics will just buy a head gasket and a tube of silicon sealant. Really unprofessional but it saves about $40 for intake, ... and valve cover gaskets.

What kills you is labor if you don't do it yourself or have a mechanic friend. About a $1,000 last time I checked. WAY overpriced as it is much less then a 10 hour job. Fair would be ~$240 plus parts if nothing else was wrong.

Rick

Try KW block seal, (follow the directions on the can exactly as they state).

I used it on a 2002 with a bad head gasket in the 80's and I drove the heck out of it; sold it and the person had it for a couple of years with no problem.

It is amazing stuff!

I have used the Blue Devil product in a 2003 Monte carlo 3.4 v-6 that would idle all day long and never puke anything, but as soon as you ran it down the road it would blow all the coolant out the overflow bottle. i "fixed" that car for a friend 3 years ago and haven't touched it since. definetly read and follow the directions to the letter though. I don't think i would go this route since you had oil and antifreeze mix.

Maybe someone can donate a decent-condition head? They aren't worth very much money and some folks have them sitting around. Anyway, in my opinion the right thing to do would be to pull the head and see if the head gasket is visibly/obviously cracked/torn. If it is, put a new one on and call it a day (it's a ~4 hour job), if the gasket looked OK then put a replacement head and a new gasket on. You're looking at ~$150 for a gasket kit and little odds and ends. There are a few tricks to the job (like using zip ties to hold the timing chain to the sprocket and setting the engine and cam to TDC#1 properly) but it's not particularly difficult work if you're comfortable doing basic maintenance on the car.

We got carried away with ours (I wanted to replace every leaking gasket, the timing chain, timing chain guides, etc)

IMG_1415.JPG

...but it could have been a quick job (done in the car) if it was just the head gasket.

(nt)Here is a head gasket I just replaced. I don't know how that shit would have fixed this. You had three things mingling here... oil, water, and combustion gases blowing into both passages. Piston was steam cleaned in No 1 cylinder. Lucky no other damage occurred.

post-2319-13667660794775_thumb.jpg

post-2319-13667660795866_thumb.jpg

post-2319-13667660797314_thumb.jpg

head gasket sealants? do they work?

no.

t

Another question: where are you located? Perhaps someone local can help you. I for one would help a local person change a head gasket if they bought the parts because it's kind of fun and I (thankfully) don't need to do it on any of our own cars for a while.