Need some advice....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0068.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Well, now that I know my engine is terminal, I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a nice 76, with a toasted engine, and an ugly 75, with a good engine, that drives, but needs some work. I have a few options, but I'm torn on what to do. I'll list them off, and let you guys vote.

1) Pull the good engine from my beater 75, and transplant it into my 76. That leaves my 75 as essentially a parts car, and I'm not sure I want that just yet, but I will if need be.

2) Fix the brakes, exhaust, and the other little things on my beater 75, and drive it. At the same time, I would pull the engine from my 76, rebuild it, and get it back running for next year. Most expensive option, but longer term.

3) Pull the engine from my 76, do a quicky hone, new rings, new bearings, valve seals, gasket set, and toss it back in the car. This is the most immediate expense of all the options.

4) Sell all the 02 stuff, and buy a new Honda Civ......hahahahahah....yeah right!

Thanx guys,

Al

Guest Anonymous

and drive the '74tii home. Problem is, the guy dropped his price only to $4750, which seems still high, but the car does run nice.

Eric

Guest Anonymous

Use the beater, buy a rusty 325i for a lot less than the price of

an m10 rebuild and get the shoe horn and vaseline out.

If you don't want to stray from the m10 Al why not use the

beater and search out a decent second hand motor - I'm sure

you could spend the time cleaning up the engine bay/sub

frame etc etc - all those little things it's easy to avoid with an

engine insitu.

Nick

ps bloody hazard switch I bought from you has different

terminals to the euro model - luckily a few squirts of wd40 in

the old one cured the problem.

Guest Anonymous

I like having a beater. If the 75 really doesnt need more than a weekends worth of work how about putting the 75 on the road and rebuild the 76 block. Hell you might be able to pick-up a good condition motor here on the board for cheap and use it as a temp for the 76 if you need time to build it up nice. I dunno- I used to live in R.I. and I loved driving my beater in the snow.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

do you have a car to drive right now that is reliable ( other than the 02s)? or, are all your cars 02s in some state of repair? It sounds like all your cars are the 02s mentioned, so I vote for "get the beater 75 up to daily driver, and take your time on rebuilding the motor that just blew."( that was an option , right?) I know you said it is the most expensive option, but it seems to preserve the greatest number of 02s, so that one day soon, your entire fleet will be back together.I dont know if you have matching chassis/motor numbers in there: if so- definately do a rebuild of existing stuff. Sorry to hear you have to hassle with this at the time of year when you should be enjoying all your toys. But, if you throw enough money and time at the project, you should be able to get the beater 75 reliable pretty quickly, and then take your time sourcing rebuild components at good prices for the engine.

Guest Anonymous

If you have the time available to bring the '75 up to safe driveable condition, then you can put your focus on the '76 without the future hassle of another engine change (plus the risk of turning a serviceable car into a parts car is minimized).

By taking the '76 out of service while you do the engine, you can take on all the other little picky stuff that's so hard to do with the engine in place. Working on the current project '70 has reminded me how nice it is to have more or less unlimited time to tend to the details of getting things right the first time rather than having to hustle to get a job finished so the car can be driven the next day.

Guest Anonymous

If it were me I would want my nice car up and running asap. The 75 needs work anyway so I would consider myself fortunate that I have a donor car on hand. I would by a 12 pack of good beer-not Molson(sic?):) and do a engine transplant. Probably not much more time consuming than all the other things you need to do to the 75-option2. You shouldn't feel that relagates the 75 to a parts car. You can take your time and do a nice rebuild on the 76 engine while the 75 sits for awhile. Maybe even tinker with the 75 to improve it, if it's worth it. All the while having a great car to drive and not spending a ton of cash. Once the 76 engine is done-put it back. Sounds like work but remember, these cars are a hobby, which means work=fun, I think. I like the M20 idea but I'll bet even though the price of getting most of the parts is not too bad, it's still pricey vs. working with what you have. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

While waiting for engine rebuild you can take your time and dink around with the rest of the car and do it up right.....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

If your life at all allows you to have a quasi-reliable beater while you get the '75 up to speed, I would do that. Not only will you not be relegating another useable '02 to parts-car status, consider this: who knows how long the motor in the '75 will last? If you take your chances with teh '75 as a driver while you rebuild the '76 engine, you'll know you'll end up with one absolutely reliable and one reliable for the time being. If you transplant the '75 motor in the '76, you'll have to do this all over again, most likely at the least convenient time.

Of course, this is in a perfect world, where you can have the quasi-reliable driver and spend the dough on a solid rebuild...

Tim

'76 2002

'03 Golf

Guest Anonymous

of course I take it you have other transportation available as well, right?

It sounds as though the ugly 75' is on it's last legs, pull the engine and drop it in the 76' which should only take a weekend or so to do, or about the same time as fixing up the 75 so you can drive it reliably!

Then if you can rebuild the 76 engine when $ and time allows.

Or as you said... sell both, but get a new Mini Cooper instead of a Honda!

WH