Okay guys, I have engine problems. Please read.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've had a missing problem for several weeks. I thought my pertronix was bad, so I installed a new one today with no luck. I let the car idle after a short drive and started pulling plug wires. I pulled each plug wire, and the engine did not change! It idles roughly, but accelerates alright. At a steady cruising rpm (unknown b/c tach is fried) it bumps very badly. I have a new cap, new pertronix, new plugs, new wires, good coil, new battery. What next? Dizzy?

Byron (going back out with timing light)

76 02 inka

Guest Anonymous

give us a little more... if it's the same on all the cylinders it has to be "down stream" of the plug wires.

So that leaves distributor/cap/rotor/vaccume/timing

Does the Pertronix still use the condensor? if so, look there too.

Are you using a vaccume adv. dist? or mech?

Check for excessive shaft movement in the distributor, but it usually will cause the rotor to eat into the cap if it's very bad.

Guest Anonymous

Car kind of lurches. Timing is on says the light, but I noticed that when the car hesitates at idle, the light hesitates as well. Methinks distributor. It's definitely below the wires and plugs. Cap is new, two diferent rotors result the same, no condenser for pertronix, no play in dizzy shaft, two different coils result the same. Pulled each wire, one at a time, and no engine change. Weird huh? I checked the vacuum advance by sucking on the hose, and it held pressure against my tongue. All seems very distributor-ish to me. But when I rev the engine up, it is much better.

Byron

Guest Anonymous

Recommend getting an old one and tearing it apart to familiarize yourself. under the "plate" that holds your pertronix inside the dizzy are springs and weights maybe they are not moving as they should and your dis is set partially on advance or somedamnsuchathing...

This is a good stumper. W/No play in the dis shaft, I would initally want to rule out "bad dizzy", but... hmm

Guest Anonymous

Yea, it's definitely giving me a headache. I just don't know. I guess I'll go play some rock music and fuel my anger!

Byron

Guest Anonymous

excessive resistance/bad connections in the primary(lt)circuit. this caused a problem similar to yours on my brother's car. It also could be the centrifugal advance, like perhaps the springs losing tension and giving too much advance at low revs, but i'd check everything else first.