clr2002

Anyone have a Schroth rallye 3?

19 posts / 2382 viewsLast Reply

Hello all! I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 69' 2002. The PO had installed e30 recaros. I am interested in putting something a little safer in for the time being. The car currently has only lap belts, and the seats are secured with one bolt and a D clamp. Whoo hoo for safety!

I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with a 3 point harness like the Schroth rallye 3, and where the best mounting point for the top of the harness would be? The harness would be used in conjunction with a seat like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1130L/

Any help would be great!

Guest Anonymous

I thought that hole absent on a 69.

Thanks for the great info and pics! I'm gonna grab it from BMPDesign, it's slightly less expensive there. The head liner is in bad shape on the c-pillars, I can always have a look see. I have just a lap belt in there now. I do not recall seeing any other mounting locations, not even for rear seat belts.

I believe there is a threaded hole a few inches aft of the B pillar on the pre-'71 cars. If the OP removes the rear door card, I believe he will find it.

From my experience, the rear "C" pillar threaded hole is not present until late 72-73 era cars. You're outta luck in a 69.

I had Schroth belts in my youth on street cars, and found them miserable for city driving....way too restrictive. Now at age 43....I couldn't deal with them, that's for sure!

I am NOT an engineer so what follows is only a few thoughts. Your options for mounting them might be via a reinforced parcel shelf...and I mean REALLY reinforced. Not just a big washer...a large plate. Welding may be required.

Schroth also (at one time anyway) showed an illustration in their installation instructions of them bolted to the rear lower seatbelt mounting holes by the rear seat. I'm nervous about this location, as it's very very low in comparison to the seat backrest/neck area. I'm told the human spine doesn't react well to bending backwards.

If your plans for the car are long term, seriously consider having a competent body shop WELD IN the correct threaded boss to the "B" pillar and a new threaded boss in the inner rocker panel (the location is different on later cars than the current threaded hole in yours by a few inches I believe!) . Using a later 2002 as a measurement guide.

Sure it's YOUR safety and you're an adult.but it's also your passengers' safety at risk. Be thoughtful and serious about this project. Then drive the living HELL out of it!!!!!

I believe there is a threaded hole a few inches aft of the B pillar on the pre-'71 cars. If the OP removes the rear door card, I believe he will find it.

Aye that is there. my own 69 has shoulder belts attached to that point. The are not reel type belts though. They gotta go....I might as well just have a harness otherwise. Can't lean forward well and I am afraid of submarining.

Aye that is there. my own 69 has shoulder belts attached to that point. The are not reel type belts though. They gotta go....I might as well just have a harness otherwise. Can't lean forward well and I am afraid of submarining.

If this is the case, I'm very curious to double check. I don't have the rear interior panel on the car, and I do not remember seeing any holes that would accept a bolt.

I'm also a little confused as to how a 3 point or 4 point "harness" would allow submarining, but a factor 2 point or 3 point lap belt would not? I always seem to see the argument against the harnesses, but not against the factory belts. Any ideas why fewer points make for more safety? Would it be b/c the harness holds the upper body so well that since the lower body has nothing holding it in place, like a 5 or 6 point, the body travels along the path of least resistance which happens to be out from under the harness?

I will be getting my 02' inspected hopefully on monday. With any luck I'll be able to take it to a shop where I can get some more insight into having the bosses welded in. Thanks for the input everyone! This is a great forum.

Early cars can be retrofitted with 3-point retractable belts using anchors over the rear quarter panel and adding a new anchor under the rear seat (welding may or may not needed ). There are also retractable 3 or 4 point harnesses where retractor end can be installed on several anchor points in the rear: over the parcel shelf with some reinforcements under the shelf, on the c-pillar, or under the rear quarter panel (on the sill extension). Schroth has a nice retractable harness design as well. In any case, if you are adding a racing harness, you should check all the attachment areas and reinforce them by welding new thick plates that come with threaded anchors, available from several places. Factory attachment points are not very strong, it is just a small plate with a welded nut behind.

Sorry, regarding the submarining I was referring to the current shoulder and lap belts in my car. They are adjustable but no reels so you are locked in place. That's just a comfort thing. But no reels and specifically no inertia reel means the belt will not lock and also yank in some of the slack to minimize submarining. The plan is to replace them with inertia reeled shoulder and laps for additional safety.

My understanding of the Schroth rallye 3 four point is it utilizes current reels in your car and one of the claims is an adjustment they make to one of the shoulder belts prevents submarining as well. They have an interesting video of the rallye 3's feature and submarining. It was the video of what happens when you submarine that made me realize I need to update my crappy belts. Not with their harness just in general.

Here is a link http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SchrothASMII.wmv

Sorry, regarding the submarining I was referring to the current shoulder and lap belts in my car. They are adjustable but no reels so you are locked in place. That's just a comfort thing. But no reels and specifically no inertia reel means the belt will not lock and also yank in some of the slack to minimize submarining. The plan is to replace them with inertia reeled shoulder and laps for additional safety.

My understanding of the Schroth rallye 3 four point is it utilizes current reels in your car and one of the claims is an adjustment they make to one of the shoulder belts prevents submarining as well. They have an interesting video of the rallye 3's feature and submarining. It was the video of what happens when you submarine that made me realize I need to update my crappy belts. Not with their harness just in general.

Here is a link http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SchrothASMII.wmv

They cannot be used with the old BMW retractors, and are specific to model (E36, E39, E49). Since your car don't even have 3 point retractable seat belts, send me an email and I will make you a nice period correct pair with all original parts, new German/US retractors and webbing, that can be retrofitted to your early car, I am THE vintage BMW seat belt expert, please ask around.

p.s. please check the for sale section, just listed some seat belts if you are interested.

By the looks of the Schroth rallye 3, it looks like they just bolt into existing locations. I wanted something that is functional (safe), legal, clean and very sporty.

I think I'll be going with the c-pillar option as seen in c.d.iesel's picture above, but have it reinforced as much as possible.

Your car doesn't have that C pillar threaded hole as it is a '69. You can certainly make one to go there, but it's not there now.

Your car doesn't have that C pillar threaded hole as it is a '69. You can certainly make one to go there, but it's not there now.

I can vouch for that. I already tore up the headliner poking for it. The one on the rear panels past the bpiller is where I have mine now. As I have never removed the panel I cannot say for sure this is truly the hole or one was created. Here is a shot of the passenger side. I will let someone sy for sure based on the photo.

d354cd51.jpg