• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1976 1502

Dude, that's not what girlfriends are for! Also those angle grinder sparks will bury themselves in glass. Didn't think anything of it either but when you come to clean the windows you'll feel them, and get them on the outside and they go rusty -glass that rusts!

Nice bit of welding there btw. Where you getting your gas from? You’ve inspired me to get cracking on mine.

Rgrds

Solche Fehler sind schon oft von Frisierpraktikern gemacht worden, die keine Ahnung von einer Ventilerhebungskurve hatten. -Ludwig Apfelbeck

hey guys thanks for the interest! ar_kid i didnt even know about that. i better get covering up that glass! Got the gas from a welding supplier place it's called Hobby Weld have a look on the net. basically you put down a 50 quid deposit for the tank and buy the regulator. a fill costs £29 and is the equivelant to £500 worth of the little bottles!! it feels like a pretty pro setup. regulator also has a special tube fitting that can take the mini hose for the welder too! get cracking and let us get a look!

got in and took some photos tonight while i continued welding up the drivers side mount. how it looked after working on saturday

photo SAM_2286_zpsf475e4ff.jpg

check out how rusty the original was!

photo SAM_2285_zpsc48c8bce.jpg

heres a comparison

photo SAM_2292_zpse0888c91.jpg

photo SAM_2293_zpse0064d43.jpg

mount in place

photo SAM_2288_zpsed5611e0.jpg

heres a gap

photo SAM_2295_zpsf491a95b.jpg

heres a plate

photo SAM_2294_zps7281f46a.jpg

welding almost done on the panels topside but gave it a coat of weld thru primer to keep the rust off till tomorrow night. then i will give the welds a grind down.

photo SAM_2296_zps14aeb9f5.jpg

got a lot of cleanup to do underneath with the welder :s

photo SAM_2291_zps48cc22c7.jpg

I decided to take the bank holiday weekend off to recover haha but put in a solid 10 hours yesterday!

POR 15 has arrived and i've been busy cleaning up the front inner wings and finishing the front of the passengers side sill. Also got some headway on mounting the drivers seat. 

bought myself an underesal gun and used it to spray POR 15 down the inside of my reinforcement beams and also inside the sills

SAM_2516_zps65161965.jpg

chopped out part of the inner wing to remove some rust and then welded in some new metal and then it got painted

SAM_2519_zps7fdbd21a.jpg

got most of the way down the sill too

SAM_2517_zps7def5e3c.jpg

other side cleaned up ready for its new steel

SAM_2521_zps278f6dbf.jpg

been using that por 15 prep and ready stuff to kill off the last of the surface rust.

also from the other night i got the drivers seat mounts cut out

SAM_2520_zps5bbbe627.jpg

ive also measured up some steel box section and drilled it to fit the bolt pattern of some new heavier duty seat rails i have and i've got it all mounted up to the seat just need to work out where its going and weld it in and then repeat for the passenger side. The box section will weld right through into the big side beams inside the sill to make it extra strong.

I've also decided on a power plant i think. going to go with an m42 to for the ease and reliability. i can always turbo it when it needs a rebuild and run it at 2.1litre with new crank and pistons. As i need to sort out the steering components and clean up and paint the front subframe i may aswell mount a fresh engine to it before i put it back in ;]

Things are moving along well, fabbed up the drivers seat mounting rails and its nearly ready for finish along with fixing a few little annoying holes. Rear wheel housings and quarter repair panels are ordered for delivery on monday hopefully. I'm also on the hunt for an m42 and gearbox. my plan is to get most of the niggly stuff done this month and get the interior back together so that i can move onto fitting an engine and sorting the subframes and suspension and brakes etc

SAM_2522_zps82998eb2.jpg

SAM_2523_zps39bcdd4c.jpg

SAM_2524_zps2d0ad68b.jpg

SAM_2525_zpscc6d328f.jpg

SAM_2527_zps96c1e0c2.jpg

the classic accelerator pedal rust issue resolved

SAM_2528_zps3900f0bb.jpg

Edited by DaveBMX

If you're putting the interior back together I think the transmission tunnel will need some work for the engine & box swap. And those M42 engines seem to be getting quite rare these days but you could also consider the M44 which are more plentiful and have a slight increase in capacity. Just need to figure out which parts are required to make the sump compatible.
Should be able to pick up a complete 'slippery shape' 3 series or compact for a few hundred quid

Rgrds

Solche Fehler sind schon oft von Frisierpraktikern gemacht worden, die keine Ahnung von einer Ventilerhebungskurve hatten. -Ludwig Apfelbeck