07GTIMYFAST

Aluminum Oil Pan Options

14 posts / 4980 viewsLast Reply

The only aftermarket option for a aluminum oil pan is from VAC, which run about $1000 Due to the position of my turbo and lack of room to run the factory dip stick I have been rolling around the idea to just build a few.

My design would allow for a vertical oil return to the pan, better cooling, higher sump capacity, re-positioned dip stick tube and internal windage gates and baffles.

Opinions? Comments?

If there is any interest in something like this I can make templates off the pieces I use and provide them to anyone who wants to build one for themselves or build one somewhere around half the price of the VAC pan.

not true...

lee at MassiveBrakes has a very nice aluminum pan. cheaper and fits better than the VAC one. think he still has a few left. i have one on my M2 very impressed with quality and more importantly it does an excellent job of managing oil flow.

lots of info on it in my blog thread or via a search on "massive and oil and pan"

you did not mention what kind of engine this is for, but s14 oil pans will work on m10's if you use an s14 oil pump pickup.

Sorry about that, I assumed y'all would know it was for the M10 engine. The search on the Massive oil pan the threads I found were the use of a s14 upper and a massive lower. That is not the route I was looking to go as I was looking for a one piece. I can see the VAC pan has some flaws just by looking at the pictures.

I always wished there was a great big cast, finned jobby... like the Alfas got.

Heck there was even a Datsun part for the roadsters that let you put 8 quarts

under a U20 or R16 in the Roadsters.

BMW just doesn't get the concept that if you offer racey parts, you can make

scads of money off doofii like us. And that if you take care of doofii like us,

you eventually sell more to us...

Gordon's running an E30 pan, modified to clear the front subframe...

t

aluminium pans come up on ebay.de regularly for about 500 euros, but they're simply replicas of the stock sump and offer no extra capacity or cooling and according to one person I spoke to they're a bugger to get leak-free.

Here is what I would like to see (full disclosure: I don't even run an M10 anymore):

A steel or aluminum M10 oil pan with a rigid, possibly O-ringed mating surface and a little extra capacity for the least amount of money possible. Hell, I would settle for a stock oil pan with a new, rigid mating surface welded to it just to keep from having to deal with that crappy, easily bent lip on the stock oil pans.

An option for a crank scraper would be nice, too.

Sorry about that, I assumed y'all would know it was for the M10 engine. The search on the Massive oil pan the threads I found were the use of a s14 upper and a massive lower. That is not the route I was looking to go as I was looking for a one piece. I can see the VAC pan has some flaws just by looking at the pictures.

any reason for not wanting the s14 style? if you are going to use your car "seriously", it is a far superior design than the normal M10 pan. normal m10 design forces all the oil away from the pump pickup under braking...not good. you can baffle it all you want, but the design still is not optimal...

s14 pan design keeps all the oil in one spot (Front) and puts the oil pump pickup in the bottom of the that spot. wayyyyyy better. and holds more oil.

I trimmed my subframe and used the e30 318i pan. It takes very little cutting on the subframe. I'm not sure how the sway bar clearance is, I planned on changing to something completely different anyways.

S7001067.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

I think your oil return from the turbo should be higher... above the oil level...

;)

t

I worked on the rough design a bit today, needs some tweeking but this is what I've got so far.

PAN1-1.jpg

PAN2-2.jpg

it looks exactly like.....an s14 oil pan......;-)

Affirmative

April-2012-19-L.jpg