Heating & vent controls attachment question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had to change the lower section of a two piece dashboard.

The original '73 lower dash had tabs provided to screw the heat and vent contol mechanisms onto the dash (controls fit on the rear and the screws go into the controls from the front), and then the rectangular plastic covers (with two openings/each for the slides to pass through) snapped onto the control mechanisms.

The replacement lower dash piece is fine except that there are no tabs, so I can't attach the heat and vent controls to the lower dash section with the screws as before.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

How do the slide mechanisms attach to the earlier dashboards? ... I assume the controls must attach to the rear of the lower dashboard section somehow. I have the metal slide covers from the earlier dash, but the cover for the right side of the steering column has only one slide opening...there's no slide opening for a fan speed control since earlier cars had a rotory switch located to the left of the instrument cluster.

Thanks for any help. - Larry

Guest Anonymous

What you are saying is a wee bit confusing. In the cars ('72>?) with slider fan control on the right, the slide control assemblies attach to the sheet metal behind the removeable dash (with screws from the front). There are no tabs on the removable portion of the dash itself. You should be able to use an older dash and maintain the same slider assembly mounting, but I am not sure whether the outer trim panels from the earlier dash would align with the '73 slider control assembly mounting.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the help Chris. My '73 dash that I removed has the metal tabs that are part of the bottom section of the dash. However, the replacement lower dash section, (the year of car that it came from is unknown) has no such tabs, and there's no evidence that there ever were any tabs. The replacement dash apparently was from a car with the fan speed control up next to the instruments whereas my '73 (an extremely late '73) had the fan speed control with the slider like a square taillight car.

So my question is this: how did the controls of the early cars mount to the dash? They must somehow screw onto the back side of the dash(?).

I've got to figure out how to use the replacement lower dash section in my late '73 2002. There is a plastic piece that is intended to snap onto the slider mechanisms and hold the plastic covers onto the controls (and fit into the dash), but I'm thinking that these plastic pieces are not going to hold everything properly.

Larry