• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new member 1600 build thread

earmenau

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Woah, it has been a while since I've been here, or worked on the car for that matter. 

To finally answer your question Clay, I bought a whole subframe, trailing arms, and rear end out of a 76 2002. I believe it has an open diff from an e21 since the car it came from was running a 5speed swap. I'd like to upgrade to an LSD once the rest of the car is sorted mechanically.

I took a two year long hiatus from working on the 1600, I've been busy with school, work, and tinkering with my honda. Although I haven't really touched the BMW, I have spent a lot of time and money collecting parts to completely overhaul the footwork. 

Parts List so far: Most of these new parts are from IE. I got a smokin' deal from the guys down there.. Jeremy and Andrew are always willing to help with questions.

IE stage 2 spring and sway bar package (drop center version to accomodate the swap)

IE wilwood brake kit for 15" wheels front and rear with single line 320i master

New pivot bushings 

New front lower control arms 

New ball Joints 

New tie rods and track rod 

New upper strut mounts

IE driver side motor mount reinforcement

IE turbo style fenders

Replica Turbo air dam from IE

New rear subframe mounts (sourced from Blunttech)

Bilstein sports for the front

Bilstein HDs for the rear (got them for free)

Also scored some decent, but banged up euro side markers on ebay and got some random things from from BMA for the M42. The thing was idling funny and I realized the rubber boot was deteriorated so I ordered a new one a long with some new spark plugs and head gasket. The battery has also been draining, I believe it's the alternator so I need to order a new one.

On top of that, I came up on some very cool, old school hartge wheels. The specs are 16x7.5 and 16x8.5.. The only problem is that they are 5x120, I took them to a wheel shop to see if I could get them "filled and drilled" but apparently the center bore was too large to accomodate the 4x100 pattern.. I am debating going with a set of adapters from 8380 labs since I really want to run these wheels, but not too sure how they are going to fit and they are a rather hefty investment at 400 hots.

http://8380labs.myshopify.com/products/42-draft-designs-spacers-adapters

Now I'm starting to ramble, so I'll just say that I'm excited to be back and conclude with a picture of my Honda and some new parts! 

14e30254-14cd-42e3-9507-7b4522307587_zps

fc7f7c83-b5b9-401e-9a11-43d575ad62d2_zps

image9_zpsxwxu8ofd.jpg

Edited by earmenau

peace is the climate of freedom.

I was actually able to get some work started! My good pal Sam and I were able to remove the front suspension and subframe so I can temporarily refinish the components I'll be reusing.

Before:

image1_zpsexsnay9a.jpg

What's up with that gaping hole in the fenderwell...  :huh:

After:

image2_zpstsp1dvoy.jpg

Lots of pb blaster and banging of hammers. With the engine hanging on a hanger and the subframe and suspension out, I then turned my attention to the pieces that I will be reusing; the subframe and the strut housings.

Before:

image6_zpsmpco6yvn.jpg

(The subframe looked like this also, but caked in an inch of road grime and oil)

During: Clean up

image7_zpszlrxjbaf.jpgimage5_zpsqg7p7xwo.jpg

Meh, could have done a better job, but this will suffice for the first stages of progress. I used simple green, a scraper to remove the initial build-up, then power washed, and took some 80 grit sandpaper.

I also had a local muffler shop weld in the reinforcement plate from IE. I got it done at Mufflerman in Placentia, ca. He did it for $20 plus a five dollar tip! I couldn't be happier, and he did a great job.

image4_zpsrhfzogom.jpg

Also saw this beautiful track prepped m-shoe in the parking lot. You can also make out the bristol grey 2002ti behind it. I was too envious to take a picture of it. I'm not too sure what business was responsible for these gems, there was a drivetrain shop there, so perhaps the owners work there.

image3_zps2m5xmijb.jpg

After: paint

image8_zpsj0vthzif.jpgimage2_zpsq5j8vyqh.jpg

image1_zps8cpq5lhr.jpg

Not perfect, but it looks pretty good! I used a couple coats of rust-oleum rust converting primer, and then sprayed some black engine enamel. If I ever get to doing a proper resto than I'll have the subframes powdercoated, and get some coilovers.

strut assembly mocked up.. looks pretty neat with out the dust cover

image3_zpsim8z3zur.jpg

Also mocked up one of the rear over fenders for shits and giggles.

image2_zpskqixoll2.jpgJust look at that rough body work... this is going to look very bad for the next few years. I'm planning on taking a welding/ fabrication course next semester, as I have a semester break between community college and transferring to university, so hopefully I'll be able to do the body work and try my hand at painting some time in the (probably distant) future.

One thing I do need help with is dealing with the brake conversion. This car is equipped with the early remote brake booster setup... I have the single line 320i brake master for the wilwood kit but am completely stumped when it comes to what I am looking at here..

IMG_1253_zpsbrxmce63.jpg

although the installation on the brake kit seems pretty simple and straightforward, I have no idea what i'm looking at when it comes to doing the single line conversion.. Although the guys at IE said it was compatible.. I guess I'll just start jamming on it.. I might be in over my head, but I'll do as much as I can. I'm pretty sure I need more parts.. I'm clueless. If anyone can point me in the direction of a build thread with this done I would be very thankful!

Well, that's all for know, folks. I'm hoping to get some work done this weekend. I need to pick up a bunch of hardware and see if I can start reassembling the subframe and suspension while it's off the car. Hopefully have another update for you guys on Monday  B)

Edited by earmenau

^^The car was beautiful

Progress has been a bit halted. Sometimes I forget how old this car is; as many of you probably already know, the early remote brake booster setup really won't be compatible with the 320i MC that I ordered with my IE BBK kit. Sigh, so unfortunately I'm looking for different options.

With that said: single line 320i MC brand new, will most likely be for sale.

Few things:

1. Remote brake booster out(plus new intake boot).

image3_zpsabfsbmrv.jpgimage4_zpset7mfz0f.jpgMan this thing is steampunk. I read that you can rebuild, but I feel like I'd rather not... Thing has to go, just like the early drive shaft/ rear end setup.

2. Got the last of the old suspension pieces cleaned up and painted. Mocking up the strut assembly and brakes(still need to grease and install the bearings). Cut a coil off the IE stage 2 springs up front.

image5_zpsbqbmzcde.jpg

Front suspension/ subfame setup is almost ready to be completely reassembled and installed.. Just need to get a few more nuts and bolts.

3. A friend gifted me an old mtech2 wheel. Doesn't really match, but I think it kind of fits the e30 theme along with the hartge wheels and m42 powerplant. I like it!

image1_zpsfz3frjme.jpg

Well, not too sure what I'm going to do regarding the brake setup but I'm going to focus on getting the suspension back on the car. I ordered the adapters and found some tires, so I'm excited to see how she will be sitting. 

Small update: 

Removed and replaced the front bushings on the subframe. Still need to install the new idler arm bushings..

image2_zpspbx1ctqz.jpg

Come on baby, light my fire.

image3_zpsfjvu6zsn.jpgon second thought, I should have done this BEFORE painting the subframe. After letting them cook for a couple minutes I used a pipe and a hammer to force them out. New ones slid in nice and easy.

Got a package in the mail..

image1_zpsqocwwtnx.jpg

These are seriously nice(if you can say that about adapters). I'm hoping to get the suspension and brakes back on the car this weekend, hopefully do a test fit on the wheels.

Regarding the brakes, with some advice from the helpful blunttech guys and some always helpful faq content, I've decided to swap out the old system for a later model setup. I found a pedal box and brake booster at a 2002 restoration shop in sun valley so I'll be making the journey down to pick that stuff up on friday. 

Starting to feel a little better about progress, for a minute there I thought I'd be dead in the water, again.

A little more progress this weekend:

Picked up the booster and the pedal box on Friday, they were a bit dirty and had some rust, but overall looked pretty nice.

image_zpswkjvmofz.jpg

Then spent a couple hours cleaning and sanding

image_zpsbwlcsitn.jpg

Here is the worst of it, tried to get rid of most of the rot.

image_zpswsph0cvm.jpg

image_zpskwoigsqn.jpgAll taped up, and ready for paint. 

image_zpsuizm3bvp.jpg

Hit it with some rust convertor and engine enamel.

image_zpsglh2qlhd.jpgThen I ate an ice cream sandwhich   :P

Then removed the old pedal box:

image_zpsh5djllo4.jpgI was actually pretty scared that I would find a lot of rust under here, but it looks really good!

image_zps4exze8ob.jpg

Then we got the bearings packed and greased up. front struts ready to go.

image_zpssroct0qe.jpgMy buddy Sam's e30  B)

Then bolted up the front strut assemblies with brakes just to feel like we made progress.

image_zpsc39d2xrg.jpg

Lastly, bolted up the rear brakes and installed the IE springs.

image_zpsw1vjbxya.jpg

Not going to town on the rear at this stage of the build because it's from a 76 car that looked pretty good.

Still need a few more parts to get the brake system buttoned down, probably won't be too much progress next week since I'll have to wait till next pay check to score the rest of the parts. Interested to see how all the brake lines will turn out  :ph34r:

Edited by earmenau

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! I know literally everything needs to be replaced/ refurbished... This is the first really old car that I've messed around with and what I've learned so far is that murphy's law always applies, and that you almost always bite off more than what you were prepared to swallow.

This weeks paycheck afforded me a couple new (to me) items. Mostly just boring stuff, but never the less, crucial to progress. This brake kit is A HUGE project on early cars. Scratch that, EVERYTHING is a huge project on these early model cars if you are modernizing. I don't think anything original is left on this car, minus the steering, for now at least.

couple pics: 

Took a drive down to the parts guys workshop after work today.

image2_zpsuh93bthn.jpg

Lots of cool cars there. He had at least 7 02's there, this e21, and an old 911.

image3_zpsgesymfd3.jpgstuff, stuff, and more stuff.

image4_zpsjnt6dkty.jpg

pretty amazing the amount of stuff this guy has. Apparently this is one of three spaces he owns.

image1_zpsyo0qjnu7.jpgThis stuff is like gold to me right now. Clutch MC, brackets for booster, linkage, and resevoir. I feel like I kind of paid an arm and a leg for all this stuff, but honestly I'm just happy to have it so I'm not going to think about it.

image1_zpswaxdzz0h.jpgThis also came in the mail. The coupler on the car looks like it's the original. 

One piece I do need a little help finding.image1%201_zpsepih4a0x.jpg

I'm missing the o-ring and connector for the vacuum hose.. I also need the connector for the brake light.. Anyone know the best place to find these items?

I'm hoping to make A LOT of progress over the weekend. I just finished midterms, so the timing of aquiring these parts couldn't be any better. Depending on what kind of problems I run into this weekend, maybe I'll have the car sitting on the ground ::fingers crossed:: 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I didn't end up making A LOT of progress over the past two weekends. We decided that it would be best to get all the new brake stuff installed and plumbed up before bolting up the subframe and suspension. Sent an e-mail to steve at blunttech and ordered the remaining odds and ends. They are honestly an invaluable asset to the the 02 community. I had no idea what I needed, I just sent them some pictures and they put the order together for me. Thanks guys! Anyway, I was able to get a few things done.. Hopefully make up for the lost time this coming weekend.

With some time to kill, I decided to get a better look at the floor pan right next to where the pedal box bolts up. It's a bit worse than I thought, but still pretty much intact. Here it is after a bit of sanding. I only removed the sound deadening where I found rot, once I got to an area that looked good, I stopped. Mostly because I don't have any metal working skills, and I'm crazy over budget right now so I'm trying to avoid discovering new surprises. Obviously this will have to be re-addressed at a later stage of the build.

image1_zpsfus8crit.jpg

After another quick session of sanding and cleaning, I hit the worst spots with some heavy rust primer.

image2_zpsh3zjkb1p.jpg

Then I sprayed the whole area with some grey primer

image4_zpsatukdgo5.jpg

Pretty half-assed, I know.. I'm just glad to have it cleaned up though.

While I was waiting for the primer to dry, I finished prepping the mounting bracket, z-linkage, and assembly for the brake booster/ pedal box and finished it off with some engine enamel.

image10_zpsze789tro.jpg

Certainly doesn't look perfect, but looks a hell of a lot better than they did before!

Also dropped the steering box and gave it a good power washing; topped it off with the new steering coupler I got from IE.

image6_zpsiwwbwh0r.jpg

Started to assemble some of the new steering stuff.

image7_zpsxpcg5mtl.jpg

Used the old stuff as a reference to put it all back together.

image8_zpsrt09nnj5.jpg

(Don't worry, everything got torqued down)

Then I sprayed some gloss over the primer, and hit the backside with some out of the can truck bed liner.

image5_zpssbfbki3w.jpg

Although not a proper job, I'm hoping this will slow down the spread of cancer for the time being.

Another thing we did was get the valve cover gasket replaced. When we went to replace the spark plugs a few weeks back we noticed that they were soaked in oil. So we got the gasket installed and replaced the plugs.

image11_zpsilcvkvan.jpg

The last thing I did was mock up the euro signals. Put in new seals, but noticed that the us bulbs don't fit in the euro items. Thankfully when I went to consult the faq, there was already a new tech article posted on the very topic! Thanks faq! I'll be ordering the adapter, but it's at the bottom of the list for now.

image9_zpsklatelvn.jpg

Hopefully this weekend will be a very productive one. Really banking on getting the rest of the parts in, I'd like to make some visible progress. I've been spending so much money and time, but the car just doesn't reflect that yet; super discouraging, but I'm staying hopeful that things are going to start to pay off.

Edited by earmenau