• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new member 1600 build thread

earmenau

Hello all!

New member & owner here introducing myself and my new project. I recently sold my e30 3 series to a friend, and decided to pull the trigger on this little bucket of joy when it came up in a local ad.

559491_225053180936213_100002945989282_422365_1739288602_n.jpg

She is a 1967 1600 and definitely needs some love. She is a runner, but the transmission has seen better days. Driving requires a bit of double clutching and granny shifting, but man... does she put a smile on my face!

I decided that I would go the route of efi, and a 5 speed trans after chatting with friends and doing a bit of homework. This past tuesday, I spent my day off at the junkyard with a friend and hit the jackpot! he even scored a set of mazda rx-7 brake calipers for his e30! wow, I never find such great things in one day.

securedownload-2.jpg

I hope to learn lots here... and with a little luck, even contribute to the 02 community! I will continue to update with progress as I race to get her to bimmerfest *sigh* any comments, innuendos, suggestions and flaming appreciated!

securedownload-1.jpg

-Daniel

peace is the climate of freedom.

Ha! I almost bought that car 6 months ago. It's a super cool car. Love the Bristol gray color. I'm wondering about those basketweave wheels you have mocked up. I believe those are 16x8 ET23 5x120 bolt pattern. Correct??? I've seen the E30 guys fill and redrill these wheels to 4x100. 16" basketweaves would look great on an 02. Keep us posted on how you're going to fit those wheels. Congrats on your new car!

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

ha, thanks! i didn't realize the car was listed for so long..

the wheels are 15x7 et 24(?)... they seem to have the same exact design as the 16x8 style 5's. I loved the look, but didn't want to go with too big of a wheel.. Although, I would love to fit a custom set of BBS RS wheels in the future. I'm going to drop the wheels off at VR wheels next week to get drilled and filled to 4x100 http://www.vrwheels.com/ they restored a set of bbs wheels for a buddy and do great work.

I'm not too sure what was up with the rear glass, but it's spare glass so i didn't ask questions.. the car was too good of shape to pass up on for the price i paid!

The details on the trim are great! it's not super straight, but i have a hot-rod buddy that knows a guy who restores trim, so i might give that a shot once i get body work done.

Not too much progress to report; 800 dollars worth of registration and back-fee's have paid a pretty big blow to the budget. spent two more days worth of scavenging at the junk-yards.. The Fontana Ecology had a lot of BMW stuff! no 02's but there were heaps of e30's, 5 series and an e21!

Picked up a cam shaft and cam gear from a 318, battery relocation parts from a 325i and a bunch of fuses from some early model 5 series. Also rear tie-rods. securedownload-2-1.jpg

Also re-covered the dash.. just did a half assed job until i can source a better dash, but it didn't come out too shabby

securedownload-3.jpg

securedownload-4.jpg

securedownload-1-1.jpg

still need a few things to start the efi conversion... fuel pump, injectors.. and a few other knick-knacks... a friend, and e30 guru monkeymadness from r3v will be helping me with the build... unfortunately my building skills don't match my tearing down skills.. hopefully have some more to post soon.[/img]

Do you have the ECU yet?

I have a Megasquirt II box (pcb V3.0) that I used to run before I swapped in an M42. I have the ECU, the relay board and all of the EDIS hardware. I only took the project as far as running the distributorless ignition side of the setup, but that worked beautifully. I'd love to know that it was used.

Email me for details at clay dot weiland at gmail if you're interested. I promise that it will be cheaper than buying anything new.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I do have the oem 318i ecu, but I am very interested in running megasquirt.. Unfortunately it's out of my budget at the moment so I will have to msg you when funds allow for it; hopefully you might still have it.

Curious as to how the m42 feels, when compared to the m10 with efi and ms... any insight?

I do have the oem 318i ecu, but I am very interested in running megasquirt.. Unfortunately it's out of my budget at the moment so I will have to msg you when funds allow for it; hopefully you might still have it.

Curious as to how the m42 feels, when compared to the m10 with efi and ms... any insight?

I never actually finished installing the fuel side of the Megasquirt. I had the ECU running in the car, but it was only controlling the EDIS (electronic distributorless ignition system). Even with the crappy carb that I had on the engine, the ignition made the car run smoooooooothly. Basically, I got hooked on the M42 idea and switched project direction.

If it makes a difference, I'd sell the MSII ECU, relay board and all the EDIS hardware for $300 shipped. I paid over twice that, and then had to assemble it all myself.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Another setback..

went to the wheel shop.. rims are a bit out of shape, usable.. but not good enough to drill them straight. probably better to get actual 4x100 wheels anyway. I guess i will turn them into mini coffee tables, or sell them off.

removed all the trim, and bumpers today.. going to be doing some welding and grinding this weekend. front bumper, fogs, and embossed trim for sale.. not too sure of the value, try to get some pics up this weekend.

embossed trim for sale.. not too sure of the value,

Second in line for the trim: Email me at clay dot weiland [@] gmail

Buuuuut why are you getting rid of the trim? My advice: keep it. it's awesome and rare.

Third in line! But same question, why??

Also may be interested in fogs, and silver kidney grill if you're selling it.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Yes, it's very cool indeed... I'm going to be spraying the car with primer and replacing some seals to keep more rust from forming until I can afford professional body and paint.. unfortunately the trim is not in perfect condition, so I thought it would be a shame to put it back on. I like the look of the car w/ out the trim as well so I think it should go to someone who will appreciate it more than I.

Do you fine gentlemen know the value of early trim? There are some dings on the side trim, but the embossed areas seem to be pretty straight, and in good shape... I'm going to shine them up and take some photo's once I have some spare time..

Partial payment on that megasquirt? ;]

I'm keeping the kidney grill, but msg me about the fogs if you want.. I'll see if i can shine them up and post pics as well.