More driveshaft woes.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0068.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

I think I'm now paying for all the fun I had on the Sea to Sky highway last monday. I knew it was too good to be true, and the 02 was too perfect lately.

Anyway, I finally got the bolts undone on the back end of the driveshaft, so I was feeling pretty good. Next thing I did was grab my GOOD driveshaft from the garage rafters, and put it on the bench. What did I find? The rear U joint is notchy as hell!!! Its actually worse than the one I just removed. I KNOW that I checked that shaft when I removed it from the parts car, and I'm positive it was good. Oh well. I guess I was wrong.

So I called the local driveshaft guys, and they quoted me $215 for the rear joint, or $330 for both. I'd like to do them both, but hell, right now, I can't even afford one!

Al

Guest Anonymous

I drove on a notchy (not loose) u-joint for five years without any problems. I was on a 5spd conversion and the driveshaft shop said they needed new joints, for $350! I said no thank you and put it on my car. No problems.

But wadda I know, I'm just a cheap bastard with some things. 8-)

Dan

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0068.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Its not that I'm cheap, but it has more to do with being poor! I'm now considering "maybe" using the notchy one for the time being. Zenon has a good rear section, but it needs a centre bearing, a front section, and a balance. Total cost will be $128, with new bearing, and balance. He's even delivering it to my house tonight. I'll have to consider my options closely. Thanx.

Al