gli_ryan

Volvo brake upgrade issue

9 posts / 1126 viewsLast Reply

I put the volvo calipers and vented 320 rotors on my 02. I also bought pads for the 240. The issue I'm having is the pads not fitting well over the rotor. They are too thick. I did get them over and on, but they are putting pressure on the rotor so the wheel doesn't easily spin. I haven't bled the brakes yet to see if that clears up the issue, but I don't think thats going to really help.

What brake pads are you guys buying? The ones for the 320 or the volvo ones? I thought that might be my issue but I couldn't find any information on which ones are needed.

If your pads are too thick, brushed concrete (like your driveway or sidewalk) make quick work of thinning a brake pad. Bring your vernier caliper to make sure the pad remains square. Just rub the pad friction surface down until it is the desired thickness.

did you shim the calipers correctly from the kingpin mounts ?

+1 for this a washer needs to be inserted between the caliper and the strut mounting tabs. This would cause the pad on one side to be too tight.

I'll check it out again, but I'm certain that that is not the issue (spacers) because the rotor wasn't bolted to anything and it was difficult to get them on. Just seems like the caliper won't open far enough or the pads are too think. I'll give it a try though.

"I put the volvo calipers and vented 320 rotors on my 02" ..." I'll give it a try though"

Whether or not the pads are too thick, the calipers are going to need to be centered to the rotor, thus needing shims.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,download/id,64726/

Thw photo was before I bled the brakes, I rehabed the calipers, there was room enough to fit the caliper over the rotor..albeit, the pistons had not yet centered and bedded until I bled the brake system.

Daron

Yeah, you use 240 pads, that's correct-

I would check your calipers carefully. The 320 rotor is a bit thinner

than the Volvo one, so it should be an easy fit...

t

had the same issue few years ago with the IE BBK. Supposidly there are two kinds of volvo pads. Think and thin. they sent me the thick pads, sanded them down with my belt sander