Uder carpet glue

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Need help! I am redoing the floors on my 1975 2002 and need to know what is the best way to get rid of the factory glue that goes under the original carpet? I have tried but the only thing I have come up with is scraping it off. If anyone has done this can share how they did it I would appreciate it...

Jaime

Miami FL

Guest Anonymous

dryice1.jpg

YOu're probably reffering to the sound mat tar stuff....heres two pics I took while I was doing mine.

Keep it covered ins omething untill you're ready to break it apart, leave it for about 20 minutes to a half hour. Before you lay the ice down though you're going to need to score the tar so it will break apart in pieces. I found that using a utility knife upside down (blade facing up, pushing the knife forward) was actually easier than doing it the conventional way as it "dug" into the tar easier. Its pretty tough stuff.

after you get the ice down on there and let it sit for a while your creativity has to come into play by using the ice somewhere else usefull while you try to break apart the tar where it just was. It doesnt take long for the tar to get not-frozen so you dont have much of a window though between removing the ice and breaking it apart. Also, vertical surfaces like the rear trunk wall, sides of the tranny and footwell areas, dont even bother just bear with it...you're gonna probably end up having to scrape that off. Its very difficult to chill areas by 'hanging' ice next to it (doesnt work, ive tried). I got 35 pounds, twice. I wouldnt suggest that, maybe just two people working with 40 pounds, once :)

Any more questions? oh ya, this is what it sorta looks like when it breaks apart, i took the picture originally to show that I misplaced the hammer onto a wiring shroud and shattered it but it gives the general idea for scoring and how it breaks apart. Usually though it takes it all off down to the whiteish floor, this picture shows what happens when you either wait too long or dont have the ice on long enough, it wont break apart completely. Theres actually 3 layers to it also, the cardboard/paper stuff, tar, then the nasty contact cement crap underneath.

center

Guest Anonymous

dryice3.jpg

This is what its "SUPPOSED" to look like as it breaks apart in chunks, should be the size of the score lines and all the way to the floor.

Guest Anonymous

Where the card-paper-stuff is already gone it will be difficult to break apart the tar itself in uniform chunks, if not impossible. The tar just shatters, the paper top of it provides kind of a backbone for it to break out with. If the paper actually shatters too, well either it probably more than a hard enough hit with a hammer and chisel/scraper but cold enough to still take out all "layers". Sorry, its hard to explain. YOu'll get the hang of it, just like a long learning experience doing something by the end you'll never want to do ever again.