WOT - wire condo for WI FI or LAN, how much $$ and T1 line?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Live in a condo, (co-op actually) and was thinking of having the whole placed wired for a LAN or Wi-Fi wondered if anyone knows the cost, 15 units, and 3 floors, have some easy access points via an airshaft, but more importantly can we then hook up via phone or satellite to the net for CHEEP? what kind of maintenance, daily, weekly monthly, ??? TIA

Guest Anonymous

cost will vary in different areas.

pre-wiring entire building for LAN or Wi-Fi is a good idea and you can split the monthly fees with others in the building.

If you have a shaft, run your Cat5 (or whatever) down the shaft and place wireless access points strategically throughout the building.

I did something similar a while ago for a landlord friend of mine. This was just cable internet with fibre Gigabit backbone to each apartment (3 units total) He charges $26 a month for broadband access to each unit.

Again, pricing varies in different areas....

Guest Anonymous

just fyi Mendelsons Electronics and surplus had what seemed a good price on Cat. 6 plenum cable for $99? /1000 feet if you are d-i-y oriented. Plenum has a better coating for fire code, cat6 seems to be a better cat5, sort of, although you will probably use cat5 connectors. Computergate in Cal. used to be cheap on generic connectors. Hubs are cheap. Labor of stringing wire is unskilled if somebody points out where so you douk

ld do some stuff yourself. Extra wires are alwas good. J. England Indy CCA 0892 a+, network+, i-net+, cet, etc.

Guest Anonymous

I have heard that T-1 is REALLY EXPENSIVE. If you get any non-school prices for T-1, please let us know. It would be nice if I win the Lotto. I loved using it at school. Instant load. My DSL is a tortoise by comparison. Good luck!///

Guest Anonymous

If you want to go real cheap, and not require any rewiring and very little special equipment, look into HPNA or HPNA 2.0. You can bring a single ADSL line to the co-op hook it up to the HPNA concentrator, bridge it onto the phone lines in the wiring closet and you can take a HPNA adaptor and plug it into any phonejack and you are connected. The only issue will be assigning IP addresses and if you want to go real fancy-shmancy there are devices that can take care of that too so that it is completely plug and play to the end user. To get an idea of how it would work look at www.tutsys.com and look at their Expresso Lite solution and the SMS. There are other companies out there that do it, but from all the competitive testing I've done Tut's is the most reliable.

Cheers.

Guest Anonymous

I am a network engineer for Verizon, You are much better off with a DSL or cable than with a t1. T1 will give you 1.5mbs of upload and download. My home DSL give me 1.7mb download and .3mbs upload. Most people just want to browse the internet and download.. You don't need a T1. Plus a T1 is around $800 a month. Get the CHEAPEST DSL you can. a little hint. If it's slow complain complain complain. That's how mine went from .7mbs download to 1.7 mbs! Don't buy the "business package" isn't worth it.

Guest Anonymous

but the price can go to $1500 depending on provider.

the problem with cable and DSL lines is that the upload speeds are very slow. Can't runa server on those :)

steve

Guest Anonymous

Hmm.. it can be costly. You will need some industrial equipment to broadcast to that many users in a type 2 structure.

The bandwidth alone shouldn't be too bad, bring in a fractional T1 ($600-1000 per month) and route it wireless to all your tenets.

http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/templates/blackbox/products.asp?param=429&ig_id=417&title=Pro+11+Series+Wireless+Ethernet

You can do some neat things as the owner; have a home page with events, video conferencing, security cameras can be streamed, the sky's the limit.

Call Blackbox and tell them what you want to do.

Great guys and great prices.

Hope that helps a bit.

patient