need help w/fuel system

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I've got a '76 (non-tii) w/stock mech. fuel pump.

When the engine turns over, the pump does not pump fuel. However, after taking the pump off of the head and working it with my hands, it does pump fuel. Does the pushrod that acts on the pump ever go bad? If so, could this be my problem?

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

there are simple testers to see the pump pressure. I have a 74, seems like it doesn't pump too well cause the fuel filter never seems to fill up , but I think that is normal, heard of the rod being too short, youcould probaly do some measurements, with the pump off, see how much throw it has and if then if should be activating the pump properly. If not grind down the spacer,

Guest Anonymous

bears against. The pushrod should have a flat end; as they wear they get beveled. There also should be little or no wear marks on the pad...some aftermarket pumps (notably those made in Italy) have soft metal on the pads and they wear. My pump quit working when the pad had nearly worn through. Too much free play between pad wear and wear on the pushrod. Solution: new pump, or dismantle old pump, weld up pad and grind down smooth. But if the pushrod is beveled, replace it. Hope that's the problem.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I was swapping mech fuel pumps and took

pictures and measurements of 2 different pumps

and pushrods. I'd be happy to submit these toward

an FAQ on the different combinations. I think there

are 3 different pumps. So we'd just need the one

more pump's pic and pushrod length.