ok... e21 hub problems... please HELP!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hehe as soon as i dont have a manual i get a bit lost!

problems:

1. the bearings that i pulled out of the hub i just bought (ie, old bearings) look different from the new bearings in the box... the new ones are two pieces with one piece that fits over the other... but only one piece came out of the hub... have i left something behind in the hub?? or am i supposed to discard one of these new pieces?? see pics:

Bearings1.jpg

Bearings3.jpg

Hub.jpg

2. how do the hub and vented rotor i have just bought go together... there are only four holes- do i use a single bolt to hold the two together and hold the wheel on??? wheel studs??

argh please help!!

thanks in advance

ozgeorge

Guest Anonymous

ozgeorge asks:

>>> but only one piece came out of the hub... have i left something behind in the hub??<<<

Yes, you left the outer race in the hub, it's visible in the picture you posted. Look closer at the parts you have in hand & it will be evident.

>>>how do the hub and vented rotor i have just bought go together... there are only four holes- do i use a single bolt to hold the two together and hold the wheel on????<<<

The hub fits on the spindle, then the rotor fits over the hub & is held in place when the wheel is attached with the wheel lug bolts. There is one small screw that can be fitted on the rotor to hold it in alignment to the hub, this is only needed to help keep the wheel bolt holes lined up. It can be omitted if you don't mind the bit of extra hassle lining up the holes when installing the wheel.

Guest Anonymous

the wheels to go on. The 320i had lugs that went through the wheel and into the stud. Ireland Engineering used to carry them.