more pics of the engine progress and a couple questions...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

motor1post.jpg

motor2post.jpg

As you can see I got my carb on today. I have all the hoses cut and on now I just need to get clamps and clamp them all off. Also as you can see I still need to do all the electrical.

The first problem I ran into was the exit on the fuel pump was a pretty small size. It was smaller then both the carb size and the intake side of the pump. I solved this by putting the fuel filter inline behind the fuel pump, and used two different size fittings on the filter. I'm not sure I like this set up though because it might allow stuff from the lines to get into the pump. Should I not worry about it or maybe put another filter in the trunk? Also will this smaller size fuel line hurt fuel flow? If so I'd have to modify the fuel pump somehow...

Next question is how tight should my fan belt really be. I know this might sound stupid but I've never actually adjusted one before. In the manual it says you should be able to twist the belt 180 degress, but this seems pretty loose. ???

Ah I have more questions but I can figure them out on my own. If you see anything majorly wrong in the pics though let me know ;).

Guest Anonymous

i know i have been harping on about this for weeks... but what are you going to do about the vacuum advance on your carb? hehe

ozgeorge

Guest Anonymous

There's a BMW dealer part that is a rubber insert to the fuel hose that adapts the hose size needed for the carb to the smaller mechanical fuel pump output.

If i find the part number, I'll post it. I believe that maybe Paul form Maximillian posted it a couple of years ago on the roadfly board as the magical solution.

Guest Anonymous

Pretty easy to find on roadfly.

It was Paul, in 1999

"If you can't seem to get the hose from fuel pump to carb to fit tightly enough (they're usually two different sizes on many!) Then get the following sleeve for the pump outlet: 16 12 0 480 125. This is a factory OE part that will keep you from stripping hose clamps / squishing the life out of the fuel line!"

Guest Anonymous

...though I doubt you'd have any trouble. I suppose you could just add another filter.

More serious, though, is that it looks like the hose running from your intake manifold to the brake booster might not be the right kind. The proper type is wire-reinforced with a fabric sleeve -- the wire to prevent it from collapsing under the high vacuum in that line, meaning you have to use a hacksaw to cut it. There should also be a check valve in the middle of that hose, close to the manifold. Last I checked, the hose was about $20 per meter, and the valve was about $10.

I think you'll have troubles if you try to stop and that's not the right hose, or at least no power brakes...

-Dave

Colorado '71