building an engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright. Maybe this post will attract more answers...

i am in the process of building an engine..OK!

so...i am a little short, budget wise. but i want mucho performance. i have 292 cam, .25 over mahle pistons, and... still figuring out carburetion matters. BUT what i REALLY wanna know is...will is suck complete ass if i shave my head. THATS what i want to know. thanks you guys. im just a little impatiant because im taking the head to the shop tomorrow, so i need to know. thanks again!

mike

Golf72

Guest Anonymous

reasonable to shave a little bit to increase compression. factors to consider: is the head square or will you have to shave anyway just to get out warps? also, has it been shaven before? many have......

If you have an e12 cylinder head, removing 0.5mm will increase the compression ratio by 0.435, removing 1mm will increase it by 0.87 and 1.5mm by 1.305. i wouldnt go beyond that.

you can also probably safely take about 0.5mm off the top surface of your block, which will increase compression by 0.5. you should be checking the top of your block for flatness anyway...

while purists say this is a bad way of gaining compression, there is actually nothing wrong with it and with higher comp quality pistons becoming harder to come by it is quite reasonable i think. just dont go nuts and make sure the rest of your engine is well built/balanced.

ozgeorge