What's the best method to cut Clardy console faceplate for a

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=63216&catGroupId=11085&modelNo=CQ-DP383U&surfModel=CQ-DP383U

I'm putting in a DIN sized receiver/CD, replacing the old shaft-style radio/cassette. In the Clardy console, the radio is at the bottom, allowing the back of the radio to lay on the hump under the AC stuff. So all I need to do it get the front cut and properly install the DIN sleeve.

Utility knife?

Dremel-type tool? Would it melt the thin plastic?

Other?

I went with the one in the link because it plays MP3, has a black face and a nice, basic display instead of the gaudy multi-color things on a lot of them.

Guest Anonymous

Altho it was an aluminum faceplate that I cut. I've done plastic faceplates in the past and they are much easier. I used a small diameter drill and made a perimeter line of holes around the outside, then just used a flat file to finish it off. The stereo bezel should cover up any uneven areas, altho with a flat file you should be able to get very close to straight. The CD-type stereo bezels don't cover much tho!! 8-)

Guest Anonymous

My Behr console had a DIN sized line embossed around the stereo hole that I simply traced over a few times with a sharp utility knife. I also seem to remember having cut perpendicular to the line traced by the utility knife in a few places with a hack saw to enable me to wiggle pieces of the console loose in the same way you'd wiggle a loose tooth free. By utility knife, I mean one of those traditionally grey metal units that holds trapezoidal blades.