PART2, rust after, almost done (dialup beware)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...after doing this (and I have not started the pass side yet, although that will be easier..less damage)..I will NEVER EVER do this again. But do I regret it? NOT ONE BIT!!! I learnt a TON. I had never even used a MIG before this, or done any bodywork or metal fabrication at all. It takes 5x longer than you expect. But again, no regrets. Next car I do..I'll get a 'rust free' shell...and I know that any patches I need to do..I will have the experience, and know how to do it RIGHT. So this was almost like a practice car. The experience is/was invaluable.

if you don't have the time, don't bother though...good thing I'm single :)

thanks for all the positive feeback!!

Matt

'72 02/m20

Guest Anonymous

Saved her from the crusher! Anything can be done with a little determination, and a winter's supply of free time. I'm a believer.

Praise the welder! Long live the welder.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

First you need to buy a welder, Bill ;)

lol

Very nice work on that rust though Matt. I might end up tearing apart my rockers to look at some of that crap too eventually but atleast I didnt find holes in my floorboard like that so I think im relatively safe....

Guest Anonymous

M20 swap, total rust resto. Paint coming up. What's next? You gotta let me know what kinda vitamins you're taking. Good form.

Guest Anonymous

you know what..i have no idea, but just a guess, i would say at the very least 100 so far. its the rust removal and fabrication of pieces that takes time. or the really rough stuff like the inner sill sectioning. plus i had never welded before..so i had to redo a lot of stuff. i cut cut that time easily in half now. or less. the passenger side *should* fly by (but you know it won't :)

i was super scared about the rocker..but honestly..if your inner sills are totally solid...a rocker replacement would be almost a cakewalk, i would not hesitate doing that if i KNEW thats all it was. but in reality..there is ALWAYS more than you think. oh yeah, and the rear of the rocker where it dips underneath can be a bit sketchy..

mk