transmission options

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Last year I replace the transmission output flange (fine spline) on my ‘73tii because it became lose. The output shaft on had taken some abuse but it was still usable. Now the clutch is starting to slip so it is time to drop the trans and I am looking at options. My current transmission is in great shape (no grinding) with a slightly bunged up output shaft. I could just reuse the transmission and wait for the output shaft to fail or have it repaired/rebuilt for $800 - $1000. I can buy a used MM 4 speed from a buddy for a few hundred $$. Of course I can always do a five-speed conversion but I am somewhat reluctant to that since the car is mostly original, in very good shape, and I only drive around a 1000 miles a year. Give me your recommendations

Guest Anonymous

OD 5-spds leave you with NoGuts in fifth gear(unless you chance the diff ratio too). Getrag 235/5 Sport trans are hard to find(although there is one in the June Roundel & expensive). And if you make up your mind soon you can get the clutch and trans replaced before the 02 Fest at the Brian Redman Vintage Races at Road America July 20. Do it!

Guest Anonymous

I also have a '73tii that has it's four speed, and save for last summer, is driven relatively few miles per year. I live in Michigan, and the car is licensed as an historic vehicle.

When I went O'Fest last summer, I would have loved the cruising legs of a five speed on the 2500 miles round trip, but am loathe to modify the car, even if it were to make the car a comfortable highway cruiser, just to have one that is in it's factory original, unmodified state.

Possibly the West Coast owners who drive their cars more often will disagree, but IMHO, one thousand miles a year isn't enough to justify modifying an unmolested car, unless it's in imminent need of major repair. Put it back together with a new clutch and enjoy it.

Cheers!

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

Before you come to Road America(and as long as its out of commission while you do the clutch/trans work) get it repainted a different color. All the 02s at the May races were BLUE, just like yours.