Mike87...how did you put the gas cap inside the trunk on yer

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It was on the #87 race car, not the schwarz. The gas tank was modified to have a vertical inlet (some of it was removed) and then a straight piece of tubing was used. The gas cap flange was welded to the tubing so the gas cap would fit. Actually I think it was an oil fill cap, but you get the idea. Then the tube assembly was attached to the tank with a piece of heavy rubber hose. A simple bracket was required to keep it stable.

This left it vertical in the trunk. The original gas cap was left in place and kept locked.

I will send you a photo of it tomorrow.

Mike (#87)

Guest Anonymous

Did this on my flared 02. We sealed off the right rear flare, so there was no filler cap on the outside.

At the tank, cut the filler neck so it was vertical(no bend). Then we got a VW oil filler neck and welded it to a 2 inch pipe. We even installed a small hose barb for the vent tube. Need that to keep from forming a vacuum in the tank. We used a 2" rubber coupling with hose clamps to put it all together. Topped it off with the newer style plastic oil filler cap. Looked and worked nice!

What was fun was pulling into a gas station in Oregon(where THEY have to pump the gas for you). I let the guy walk around my car a couple of times before I let him know where the filler was!

Guest Anonymous

Hold the nozzle upside down, get the tip on the filler neck, then twist the nozzle right side up. It also takes some practice to not overfill the tank. Just be aware of how much you need. Hell, a dipstick for the fuel tank might be such a bad idea then.

Guest Anonymous

That post about spilling when filling is probably right on. I can't imagine that a few drops won't get spilled when leaning over a vertical pipe inside the trunk.

Guest Anonymous

lisabad3.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/02s_online/links.html

and tearing it away from the tank, or vice-versa, opening the tank to the trunk. nightmare scenario is that this (big pow in the ass of the car) spills gas into the trunk and it ignites. Plan is to pack the kid in the backseat, so i want to take this precaution as it seems like a cool idea in general. :)

-Rob