Weber 38 float assembly fckup arrghhh!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

highly embarrasing balls up at the end of a L O N G and frustrating wrench day....

tinkering with my carb - when removing the top of the carb, i dropped and lost the "axle" connecting the brass float to the body/needle valve. It wasnt affixed and i cannot find it...

anyway, i cludged it together with a piece of gauge wire as a replacement BUT

how should the brass float sit against the needle value? The car now runs like baby-puke is in the carb, and it wont hold an idle..

the needle float has a small bracket on it - i have the float tab under this, so the base of the needle valve is against it. BUT when holding the top cover horizontally, the float drops..

whats missing? what have i messed up, and do i need special weber parts to replace??

thanks

embarrassed ANdy

Guest Anonymous

(blush). If so, chances are pretty good that the culprit is the missing float pivot pin. Is the replacment pin you made exactly the same diameter as the missing one -- i.e. does the float fit snugly on the pin? If not, that may well be your problem. Rather than a piece of wire, you might try using a cut down nail of the proper diameter, being sure to find a correct brass pin as soon as possible. If the float can wiggle on its pin, it will allow (due to engine vibration)the needle valve to pass more gas into the float chamber. If the float chamber overflows, the gas goes right down the carb throat. That will upset the air/gas mixture and will cause rough running.

Try and find a temporary replacement pin that's the proper size (and perfectly straight, so the float won't stick) and try it then. I don't know the proper float height adj. on a 38/38, but I'm sure someone on the board does...

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

BIG blush!!

Thanks very much Mike for the input. learning as i go...

Will switch the brass axle out, and try for a 38/38 weber part...