Oil sump removal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What is the best method of removing the engine oil sump? I have been trying to get it off in order to look at the crankshaft, but the oil stirrer/tie bar don't allow me to remove the sump altogether (although I spent about an hour removing those hard to get bolts!) How could I get the sump off? I think I could either remove the front subframe altogether, or I could remove the engine (have other things I have to do, anyways). Any suggestions?

tia,

P. Hewes

Guest Anonymous

I took out all of the nut as you have done and lowered the pan down.

Secondly, I removed the oil pump in place while the pan was hanging down using various 10 mm wrenches and turny gizmos. (I usually buy a set of cheap sockets and wrenches when rebuilding an engine, I can heat, bend and grind whatever shape I need them in. If they break no biggy).

This will allow you the space to move the pan out.

I then notched the cross bar thing (oil pan baffel?) to fit around the oil pump for re-instaling. This allowed me to put the oil pump back on prior to replacing the pan. I welded an oil pan baffel to the bottom of the pan at this time. That ensures that no oil starvation will occur from notching the cross piece.

Then the fun part. Gasket Goop the pan and place the gasket on. Put goop on the block (may as well put some in your hair you will get some in it). I put the bolts through in the corners and put a 1/2 paper clip on top of the bolt to hold the screw and gasket together.

Fit the pan, start the bolts and then remove the paper clip.

Guest Anonymous

taking the pump out would be more work and if you just want to check the crank you must do like this:

unbolt the 2 engine mounts, then unbolt the pan.

i don´t remenber if is needed to take the dist cap out... take it out just to be sure.

jack the engine with a hoist or use a trolley jack under gearbox bellhousing, don´t remenber if is needed to unbolt rear gearbox mount, you try and see.

then when clearance is enough you should be able to jiggle it a bit to take it out.

Dinis

Guest Anonymous

I find the easiest method is to drop the subframe. I support the front of the engine from a 2 inch square steel tube that sits on top of the inner fenders. Then unbolt the motor mounts, unbolt the ball joints from the control arms, pull the stearing shaft out of the stearing box and drop the subframe with the control arms, all stearing linkage and sway bar still installed. Greatly simplifies access to the sump.