SS Brake Lines

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have to do a brake overhaul on my 72 and want to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. Ireland has them for $65 but in the description they say "not DOT approved" What do you think

Guest Anonymous

I have them and just put them on last weekend. Love them.

As far as the DOT thing goes, I think they just didn't want to go through the cost of getting the certified.

But what do I know.

Guest Anonymous

As I recall...There is a whole host of tests a part must be subjected to in order to be DOT(or TUV) certified.

The tests that DOT does on all brake lines has one test(that I can't remember which one. Anybody...Beuler?...) that the SS lines CAN NOT pass due to their nature. Nevermind that the SS lines would not be subject to this condition, or if they were subject to this condition, it would only have been AFTER the car had crashed and rolled over a hundred times, so this test is moot. However, in order to be certified, they have to pass this test.

IIRC the end result was they had to have a rubber dust boot at the point of joining. If you look at the DOT approved hoses, you will see the difference. Be aware, some states will look at these itemes when registering your car, and could catch it. My cars are not subject to this inspection and I have been running Non-DOPT SS lines for YEARS. 200k miles on the M3.