• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift bracket help needed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

bracket.jpg

I need to replace the bushing in the support strut #19 from the picture. Does anyone know how I get just the bushing? The parts catalog shows several of these brackets. Does anyone know which one I get if I have a 5spd with a shortened 2002 shift platform?

Guest Anonymous

a new one (23 41 1 766 125). If you're using a shortened 2002 shift platform, you'll need to also shorten that nice support arm you just purchased too. I'm going to wack a section out of one, and drill and pop rivit the wacked out section to joint the two sections (hey, I'm welding challenged)

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

That's the early platform-not ideal for the five speed conversion. Have you, or the p.o. already done the conversion or are you getting ready to do it? If the latter, consider using an E-21 platform, shifter, and linkage. Sorry I'm not answering your question-I don't know if that bushing is available.

Guest Anonymous

I have both an early platform and a late 320i platform both adapted to fit a 2002. The early platform is much cleaner. How do you get the late style mounts to bolt to your 2002 tranny tunnel?

Guest Anonymous

....but, I ended up using the cross brace anyway for rigidity-I know-back to the original problem. however, I had to do that because the rear mounting tabs were gone on my E-21 platform. Problem with the cross brace is it interferes w/the tranny support in back if you bolt it to the lower part of the trans like on the four speed. If you can devise a way to fasten to the tunnel you will save yourself some headaches later. I'm sure it's easy and others on this board can steer you in the right direction as regards that. Important: Don't use the early shift with the late platform-the fork style shift will hit thee new style platform mounting ring preventing you from engaging second gear. Match the componants year for year 9sort of-early/early, late/late) and you'll have no probs. feel free to e-mail me re: the install. Mine works pretty well because i made all the mistakes and had to change them:).

Guest Anonymous

Used 'em to rebush my shortened strut - if memory serves, they needed to be turned down a little on the outside diameter, but the center hole was the right size; to get the proper thickness took two bushings.

Pressed them into the hole in the strut using a socket and my big vise, then pressed the center tube in the same way. Works great.

I can get the manufacturer's name and part # if anybody needs it.