stupid front strut spacers revisited... my car has never sat

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

so at everyones advice i pulled off my strut today.... hoping, hoping to find one of those damn spacers... alas, none (can we scratch australia off the list of countries that got those stupid things now?). anyway, does anyone have any suggstions about what is the next most likely culprit regarding my excessive rake? are there any rubber components at the back that might effect height if perished???

any help would be, as ever, greatly appreciated.

ozgeorge

Guest Anonymous

Why these cars were built looking like "Amphicars" is anyone's guess. You can be sure that if a high front-end was the hot performance/handling settup, all the race versions you see would be set up that way. NOT! Anyway, I simply cut 1 & 1/2 coils off my stock front springs. I figured if I didn't like the results I could buy some aftermarket items down the road. As it is, I could not be happier with the stance, ride, handling, and cost of this modification. The front of my car is just slightly lower than the rear now and the feel from the front-end is much better. The combination of the geometry change resulting from this drop, and the new tire/wheel combination I'm running has allowed the car to carve through turns with more of what I expect from a rear drive car. The transition to oversteer is more predictable than with the front riding up high. This is my experience with the problem, and may not match the opinions of others.

Don

Guest Anonymous

No, I put the cut end (cut with a saw) into the lower perch and used about 8"- 10" of 5/8" heater hose, slid onto the end, in place of the old rubber pad. Leave a couple inches hanging off the end in the perch. I "did" file the hard edge of the cut to dress it a bit. Have had no problems with this solution. The pads on my car were not in good condition and looked like a poorly designed item at best, so I just came up with my own replacement. Don

Guest Anonymous

articles on restoring the front and rear suspensions on '02's a couple yrs ago and they gave cut thier springs also. Good articles. Back issues are available from them if interested

Guest Anonymous

Hi George,

What year is your car? Mine's a 74... removed them the other day actually, I wonder what the story is...

As far as I know it was a law requiring the headlights to be a certain height that called for the spacers (now I'm sure I'm just repeating what everyone has said and I haven't read...) so perhaps there was a change in the law. Or of course someone had already removed them!