• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Engine Rebuild

walter_middie

Adhvanit,

I do have some pictures, but I'm not sure that would help more than just a general engine rebuild book.  Every engine rebuild is different, as each engine needs what is worn to be fixed.  

I wouldn't expect that the '02 that you buy will need an engine rebuild.  You may buy a car with lots of other issues, and the engine rebuild could be minor next to what other things may be wrong.  For your first project, I'd concentrate on things like brakes, a tune up, interior, suspension.....before you get involved with an engine rebuild.

Let me know if you really want the engine rebuild pictures, and I'll send them to you.

Rex - 1976 BMW 2002

2003 BMW M3

1969 BMW R69S

1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special

1975 Porsche 911s

I was more just curious to see your rebuild process, more of it's interesting to read/view and less of as a guide.  This will be my first foray into the world of BMWs, I've stuck with Subarus for a long time and the EJ series is a whole lot different than most other stuff out there but I haven't been able to find a decent video or walk through of an M10 build.

For my eventual 2002 the engine rebuild will definitely be down on the list after the things you listed as well as rust.  The essentials come first and foremost before I bother at looking at anything crazy.  But it's definitely a long term plan to rebuild the engine, partly to refresh it and honestly partly for "shits and giggles".

1974 BMW 2002

2003 Subaru WRX

Here's a picture of the problem I was having with the head gasket.  I removed the head while the engine was in the car.

The next picture is the engine coming out of the car.  I rented an engine hoist for removal and then again for installation.  I removed the engine without the transmission as the driveshaft guibo is so hard to remove.

Here's the block on the shop floor.

There's a picture of the parts scattered on the floor.

A picture of the ring sizing tool I made out of a dremel tool, and checking the ring size.

Home made flywheel stop.

The timing chain.

Pistons back in

The distributor mounted in a vice and turned with a drill.  I use this method to set the point gap and dwell.

Head.JPG

Eng_Hoist.JPG

PICT0388.JPG

Engine_Parts.JPG

PICT0394.JPG

PICT0398.JPG

PICT0402.JPG

DSCN0867.JPG

DSCN0864.JPG

DSCN0829.JPG

Edited by walter_middie

Rex - 1976 BMW 2002