cupholder

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have a creative idea for mounting a cupholder in the console? I know it's sacrilege, but I need my coffee.

The Audi A4 has a great pop-out unit that might fit where the ashtray sits, and some 90's Fords and Saabs had a two tray DIN unit that held 2 cups with a coin tray. Both would fit, but look way out of place.

Suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

I think they are $40 (got mine used from a wrecked car), but they collapse and hold two cups. Reverse only gear that has to be done carefully.

Michael 72 tii

Guest Anonymous

Its called a "Wizard" or something like that.

It clamps on the sides of the shifter surround real well, hardly gets in the way of shifting. And, i can stash it when I don't want it there.

Guest Anonymous

$5 using a 4" ABS drain pipe fitting from Home Depot and a bit of black sheet ABS.

1. Get the longest 4" fitting with the smallest branching fitting available

2. Cut the 4" fitting in half and remove the branch fitting

3. Sand or file a spot on the large diameter section of each piece down until the wall thickness is down to about 1/8" (I used a bench belt sander)

4. Using plastic solvent cement, glue the two resulting flat spots together.

5. When cured, sand or file the cut ends flat

6. Using the solvent cement, glue a flat piece of ABS sheet across the cut ends to form a base and bottom for the holders

7. When cured, trim the flat sheet to match the diameter of the cut pieces

Depending on the console you have, the resulting 2 tube holder will either drop right in in front of your shifter, or need to be sanded or filed where it hits the sides of the console. I've been using one of these for over a year and have yet to spill a cup of coffee or any size drink cup.....

Guest Anonymous

We perceive cupholders to be 'family-van-6-seat-dograck'

items, not to be found in real cars.....

But hey, no offence, if you really need it.

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

You bet. We love our conveniences. I had said that the 2002 would be free of that stuff. Then I found myself driving to a tech session one-handed because I didn't have time to drink my coffee at home. Without a cup of coffee, I'm not fit to operate machinery. Thus, cupholders.

Guest Anonymous

MVC-023S.JPG

after twenty years of drinking coffee on the way to work, i became aware of the cupholder controversy. none of my cars/trucks had cupholders, having been built before they became popular. plus, i always used extra large cups, convinced as i was that i 'needed' that coffee to make it to work. various flat surfaces and one handed driving. sufficed to make up for the lack of a cupholder.

the expediant i used for my 2002 was my work boots. since i drive without shoes (big feet), my 8" high red wings ride in the passenger footwell with my lunchbox. a cup with a closeable lid goes in the boot next to the trans tunnel. not once has the boot with the coffee fallen over.

that's just groovy, but then i came to see the light- get rid of that driving distraction. those germans are right. i can wait for the coffee i thought i needed until i get to work. an hour commte. at 4:30 am. it can be done- just try it.

hth

robert

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

I cannot reach the hot cup that has to sit in the pax footwell when I am in the harness, so I cannot enjoy my coffee on the way to anything. I have to drink 20oz screw on lid plastic sodas because they only thing spill proof and they kinda fit between tranny tunnel and inboard Recaro bolster. It sucks- I want a cupholder too! lol, it is the little things...