Sunroof crank spring installation

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is a rather esoteric question after searching the FAQ and Forum and finding more serious problems related to sunroofs. My new '74 tii has a dangling sunroof crank. I took the crank off and found part of a paperclip had been put in there to at least offer some temporary resistance. I bought the little "w" spring that goes in there so that the crank will properly stow up in the roof recess. Now I'm trying to install the spring and am finding it a very difficult task using standard tools like needle-nose vise grips, screwdrivers, needle-nose pliers, etc. My first thought was to get the spring in without permanently deforming it. That is, compress it only when doing the actual insertion into the crank. That proved too difficult with the tools I was using so I ended up deforming it just enough to insert it. Then I wanted to "stretch" it out again while it was installed using pliers, a screwdriver, whatever. This seems to work partially, but I have a hard time believing that after a few dozen uses it will stay in the recessed position rather than just flop down like it did before. Another thought I had was to force out the pin on the crank, insert the spring, and the use a table mounted vise to compress the spring and put the pin back into place when the holes were aligned. I'm not certain though if this pin comes out, or whether it can be put back in if it is taken out. Is there any technique out there known to work for installing this spring? Or, should I be using something else altogether that works better than the "w" spring? Seems like a rather questionable design to me, although maybe I'll change my mind once I figure out how it is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Gary

Guest Anonymous

Just as a funny aside: I did a search for "sunroof spring" on this message board and roadfly. I found that the previous owner of my tii is the one who posted a hack on roadfly two years ago about using a 1-1/2" paperclip as a substitute. Sure enough, that is what I found when I took mine apart a few days ago. So that definitely is a temporary or at least a very finicky fix (the seller said it did need the correct spring). Fortunately the remainder of the car is fix-free :)

It maybe the case though that I'm expecting it to work differently than it really does. I thought you'd just push the handle back into the recessed cup and it would stay there. Others indicated you must pull the handle down and then push it back up for the spring to engage and then hold it in place. So maybe the tension created by the spring isn't quite as critical?

GaryB

Guest Anonymous

Gary,

After "rebuilding" many a sunroof crank I have found 2 common problems.

1. Either the hole for the pin becomes elongated due to age and tension which allows the handle to flop down even with a (new) spring.

2. Or the handle itself wears almost or clean through the metal which again allows it to flop down with a spring inserted.

As you found out it is not very simple to get the spring in without taking it apart.

The easiest way to get that puppy working again is to take out the pin, then reinstall. It should not require anything more than your hands or a small drift to push the pin back in then there once the 2 halves are close. If both of your halves are in good shape it should be a slam dunk to get you back in shape.

outahere.gif