m20 stuff (transmission)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I now own one 323i 4 speed transmission, I can buy another 323i 4 speed-- I don't want to though...

I really wish that this thing was a 5 speed. I have been reading in the archives that a 323i 5speed case can be put onto 320i 5 speed internals with the two rear cases.

Does anyone know if a 323i 4 speed front case is different from the 5 speed case? My hope is that the cases are identical internally and externally allowing me to put together a 5 speed to use on my M20 conversion.

I have: 323i 4 speed, 320i 5 speed. want 323i 5sp

Bill

Guest Anonymous

but I think they are different (unfortunately). I have asked this very same question before because I had originally located a 4-speed, but decided to go with the frankenstein transmission instead.

Guest Anonymous

I have leads on people who have done this swap. Mostly e21 roadfly people (archive posts). Apparently the bearing journals have to be machined to accept the 5 speed bearings. After I correspond with these people, or get other input I will post.

I'm looking for any and all information regarding this change...

Bill

Guest Anonymous

but you probably didn't know i was gone :). haven't been on here very much lately. here is the deal. if you put a 5speed 323i case onto a 5speed 320i trans, its easy. pretty much bolt up, you just have to drill and tap the hole for the backup switch..and there is already a boss for it on the bellhousing.

If you want to use a 4speed 323i bellhousing on a 5speed 320i trans..it CAN be done, but there is machining involved, its a bit of a pain in the ass. Someone HAS done this..they took it apart themselves, got a machine shop to modify (i'm not sure if the bellhousing or the getrag 245 or both) and put it back together.)

I'll try to find the email I have from the guy who did it..I got his email from a post on roadfly about a year and a half ago. I think his name was....Colin? 50/50 chance on that...

Matt

'72 02/m20

ps probably off of email till monday now, i may get a chance to check tommorow though

Guest Anonymous

an old email from 'CW'..hopefully he won't mind. Or check roadfly, I think there is a couple posts there.

"..I've just re-assembled my 320 5-sp OD into the 323 bellhousing after having it machined to macth the 320 housing. It needed to be machined at the bearing jounals inside and outside to fit the layshaft bearings and diamter. I just took it to a reputable, local machinist and had him match the openings of the 320 to cut the 323 housing.

> ..."

Matt