How good is a Clardy AC system?(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Mine has worked great since I installed it in 1987. Cools the whole car down very quickly.

Earl Myers

74 2002Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

when they were (relatively) new, Clardys were supposedly the most powerful A/C units available for '02s. Remember "powerful 2002 A/C" is close to an oxymoron.

Part of this was due to their having a rotary compressor originally, while the Behrs and Frigikings used an inferior performing York piston compressor. Rotaries can easily be retrofitted to both Behr and Frigiking units.

Clardy console is argueably the most attractive and has best radio positioning; also has the most powerful blower, but main drawback is the large blower's bulge into the passenger's footwell. But since you always drive, why should you care?

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

frontview.jpg

URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~gfoster07k/DKWad.html

...except he missed one other really nice feature about the Clardy: each of the vents is independently controlled (meaning: you can adjust each one to blow up and away in a separate direciton) and they are probably the best positioned in the car to cool the car down.

That's why I went ahead and purchased one to store despite being 02-less right now.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

but the Behr console looks nicer. On the other hand...the Behr radio placement didn't anticipate in-dash CD players--it's pretty close to the shift lever. Overall, I'm happy with my Frigiking/rotary compressor. Better than the fresh air version.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I have one for sale/up for auction on eBay.....

I have no use for the unit as I am up north, and it doesn't get deathly hot, so I removed it and wanted to get a pulse on how good it is, and/or how desireable.

02MonsterMike

Guest Anonymous

Mine does well and allows plenty of room for a DIN size stereo. The bulge in the footwell still leaves plenty of room for the passenger. The only disadvantage is the location of the air vents... your knees will be very cool!