Rust in rocker panels

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm restoring a 73 2002 tii and as I've been disassembling it, I've found more and more rust inside the rocker panels. IOn fact, there is about a 2" X 4" hole through the side sheet metal on the drivers side interior next to the rocker panel! Should I be worrying about structural stability of the car frame at this point (and start considering what to do?), or should I just remove the rocker panels and attempt to remove all rust and apply new sheet metal?

Thanks,

P. Hewes

Guest Anonymous

I'll assume that the further you get into it, the more rust you'll find--rockers, floors, frame rails, maybe even rear shock towers. The 2002 hardly ever rusts in only one spot.

To fix it right will require either thousands of dollars, or hundreds of dollars and many hours of your time (buy welding setup, sheetmetal tools, etc.) Another contributor has recently been posting lots of nifty pictures of his rocker/floors/quarter replacement effort; it's not for the faint of heart. Personally, I've been replacing my floors, trunk and patching some bits of the rocker, but I'm very glad that I didn't have to replace the whole rocker assembly.

All TIIs are worth saving, unless it's a complete basket case, but if you don't have the time and cash, it might be better to sell it to some whacky fanatic with a welding setup. Then buy another one that's less rusty.

Mike