what would you do?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

you've finished a two year restoration last August. All systems are operating great. Things are in top shape. You're not a racer, do a bit of "spirited" driving with the other 02's at gatherings, but mostly drive in a style that could be called "conservatively fast." Your running a fresh ti engine with mildly higher compression (9.3) paired with a 38/38 weber. She starts great, idles

smoothly, and makes good power through the rpm's. You're thinking, "this project can't be over, maybe I should put a pair of 40 side drafts on." You've heard they can be tricky to dial-in and milage goes way down. But it sure sounds like fun! What would you do?

Guest Anonymous

Yes, you are crazy, but that is beside the point!

I am always looking, if one comes along that I can't pass up, my wife knows I will wheel and deal to get it! She has learned to live with my problem! Hell, it's better than a lot of other things I could be addicted too!

Guest Anonymous

Then buy the car before she gets back, along with some jewlery and flowers. Fix a few things on the honeydew list, too.

And yes, you're completely crazy.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Not that I'm an 02 expert or anything, but based on my personal experience driving... what about some other work to your car? I hear a limited slip diff can really trasform the car. A 5 speed, depending on how much you drive it, would be nice. Or some suspension work like fresh shocks and springs all the way around and maybe replace the bushings and pivots and such at the same time.

If you really dont want to go faster and are happy with the power, then why change it? Sure it's possible to get a lot more power, but if your car starts and runs strong now then there is no reason to fix it.

Just doing the minor suspension work will probably make it feel much nicer. And never EVER underestimate the power of fresh ruber.

I am instaling a lnyx sidedrat with a 45dcoe, mainly because I want it to be quick but I want it to start and run fairly reliable. From the little research I did a lynx/45 set up seemed to be the most effiecent way to get the performace I wanted... atleast I'm hoping...

Guest Anonymous

I already had two (of the very few here in Anchorage), and 4 yrs ago she called on her cell phone on her way to referee a soccer game, saying "you might want to stop by ________ on the way home from work... I saw a 2002 parking in front [it was a bar] with a For Sale sign!" Man, I took that as a definite "Go ahead, Honey", and when I walked up behind the rough looking '69 I saw a "2002ti" logo and wondered if this was a diamond in the rough. Turns out to be a "ti-wannabe", not correct by VIN, but prior-prior owner set it up for some racing fun with Dual 45 DCOE's, roll bar, home-done short springs, wide wheels and Ireland's turbo-style fender flares. Basically straight car, but needing lots of TLC from an owner to keep the cost down (me). Seller said she was desperate to sell, had marked down her sign from $1500 to $1200 to $900 obo. I drove it (flat shocks, felt pretty awful, but I knew it could be made right), and offered $750... she said immediately "OK" [Damn, I thought, that was too much and too easy]. So I then said, "you know, I was afraid you would be insulted by $700, but there IS a lot of work to do on this car..." So she immediately said "That would be fine too!" Jeeze!! I said "don't answer your phone, I'll be right back with the cash".

And later that evening my wife realized what she had done by that cell phone call, but she still thought it was a good deal. She knows these cars too.

Eric

69,71,72,73(tii) 2002's

80,82,83 320iS

63 356B Porsche (waiting it's turn for restoration)

and a few parts donors '02's and 320's

[and you think YOU have the sickness !!!]

Guest Anonymous

I would slap on the sidedrafts,but I am biased. Seriously, I don't know how this works (Buggered solex?) but I get a few extra mpg from when i ran the single throat. Currently have 45mm webers with 36mm chokes... Really, they sound fantastic, the car certainly picked up some poke, and the bottom end really did not suffer all that bad. By playing with the synch every now and again I have got it to a very nice drivable state. It idled ok, could take off with bugger all revs, it was great, then I stuck in a cam. Still can take of with not too many revs, less bottom end, but prefers the revs. Still quite tractable. MAybe not as tractable as our turbo (EFI does that for you!!!) But still no worries to drive every day.

You know you wanna do it!!!! (INHO...)

Michael Smola

Guest Anonymous

If you haven't done the other common upgrades - suspension, brakes, etc. - do them first. Sidedrafts are not the nightmare some people make them out to be, as long as you know what you're doing. Nor is the mileage drop all that significant if they are tuned properly. Personally, I don't care for the single sidedraft setup - the way I figure, sidedrafts were designed for a straight-through one throat per cylinder, and that's the way I use them. If you want a single carb setup, the downdrafts are just fine. If you want sidedrafts, be prepared for setup and tuning time and buying a sync tool.