Tire size recommendations for 14x6" wheels

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have just purchased a '74 tii--driving it 1300 miles to get it home over 4 days. It has 14x6" Momo wheels and a tastefully lowered (1 or 1.5 inches I'm guessing) and upgraded suspension. The current tires are an off-brand 195/65R14 size which results in fender interference on driveway entrances and other dips/bumps taken at anything but aggravatingly slow speeds. There is also wheel well interference during sharp turns although this does not concern me as much. Any recommendations for what tire size I should go with to minimize this problem (195/55, 185/60, 185/55, etc.)? I'd prefer not to go any lower profile than 55 series so ride quality is not completely sacrificed, although 50 series is also acceptable. I realize there are also speedometer/odometer accuracy issues, but I'm more concerned with the rubbing problem causing damage to the fenders and tires. Of course I'd prefer the best of both worlds--very little or no interference and the correct size for speedo accuracy (currently indicated speed is 10% faster than actual speed with these oversize tires). Also, any feelings on brand and model tires (dependent on size of course)?

Thanks,

Gary

'71 Inka 2002tii

'88 Alpine M3

Guest Anonymous

...on 5.5-inch-wide steel rims. No rubbing at all, and nice crisp steering. They're the same diameter as stock (within a few millimeters), so my speedo accuracy is no worse than before. Oddly, the Tire Rack made me call back to confirm I really wanted 'em, as they didn't list 185/65 as a proper fit for a 2002. Same overall diameter as a 195/60 (their top recommendation), so it should have even less chance of rubbing, and closer to the proper size than the 185/60 they suggested as an alternate. Oh, well. I'm used to being weird.

By the way, smaller tires will only make your speedo indicate a higher speed than it does now; you'd need to go to BIGGER tires to "slow it down." Does the car have a 3.90 diff?

-Dave

Colorado '71