Please help me sort out my rockers (pic)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Here goes... The rockers on my car were coming apart, so i took one of those epoxy covered brush things to it and discovered... another rocker! What's up with this? It looks like the PO just riveted a cover panel over the regular rockers, which are actually in decent shape, except for the farthest rear corner on the driver's side. the other side is basically the same, only the riveted on cover seems to be in better shape. Can anyone help make sense of what the PO did? how do i make it so they are strong and look decent, and most importantly so they won't rust again?

Thanks everyone,

Matt

'74 tii

Guest Anonymous

the thing with the hole is the rear of the original rocker. It goes underneath the q-panel at the rear of the door and extends back to where you see it.

Guest Anonymous

from the looks of the rivet holes, I would guess the PO applied a patch panel. You are missing the bottom of your q-panel in the pics. It would normally be the exterior surface you see in that area (from rear of door back).

Guest Anonymous

"the thing with the hole is the rear of the original rocker. It goes underneath the q-panel at the rear of the door and extends back to where you see it."

I should clarify, the hole I am speaking about is the round stamped hole in the panel underneath the patch you removed :) Not the rust hole ;)

Guest Anonymous

Original outer rocker is in black on the right. Note how there is a crease in about the middle where the rear of the rocker moves in a little. Closest to the camera is the rear of the rocker.

DSC00358.jpg

This shows the inner rocker. There is a little bit of the outer rocker still hanging there.

DSC00330.jpg

Where the yellow over spray line in the middle of the pic is where the q-panel starts (where the crease is as noted for the first pic). From that point on back, you are looking at the q-panel as the exterior surface.

DSC00506.jpg

Guest Anonymous

With the understanding that my experience of such things is limited to what I read (i.e. watch out!), I tender the following observations. BMW 2002 rocker panel repair and replacement is an involved affair requiring considerable application of resources and skill achieve a desirable outcome. What you've discovered is a typical quick-fix approach to rusty rockers - namely the installation of slightly thinner guage panel overlays applied atop the original rockers. A more throughgoing and professional approach would begin at fabricated repair sections, progress to replacing outer rockers, and go further if inner rockers/membranes are effected and also require attention or replacement. The rear quarter panel extends right down to the rocker - you may or may not see a seam forming a division between the outer rocker and the quarter panel proper. I suspect most restorers replace the rocker and cut the crusty areas of the quarter panel out, effectively introducing a longer replacement rocker into the structure to replace metal lost on the quarter just forward of the rear wheelarch. Others would replace the quarter panels whole - an option little short of a reshell. Complications include torsional twist of the shell should one fail to brace it, rear subframe mount corrosion issues, potential wheelhousing rust, etc. I'm just beginning to research the issue as I'll have to perform the same work myself. I hope others can contribute!

Mike K.

Guest Anonymous

g46.jpg

These look like what i have now.... one piece that goes from the bottom of the rear panels all the way to the front fenders. Is this the best way to repair this section or should i be looking for rockers that look like the ones David posted that go behind the rear quarter panel?

Thanks again,

Matt

Guest Anonymous

You will not restore the strength of the shell with that patch. It is the difference between a job done right, and a cosmetic job.

Take a close look at what Canada Matt has been doing for the last few Months. He is in the middle of basically what you would need to do. His posts should be in the archives. I should have saved the URLs ;)

The only heartening thing I can say is... Seeing your work progress, and finsishing the job is rewarding. :)