• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More O'Fest disappointments ... please read everyone!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

BELOW IS STEVE'S EMAIL TO ME SENT TODAY:

Keith,

Thanks for the feed back. Let me ask you your opinion. Do you plan to enter either the driver school or autocross? do you have any feel if other '02 owners will? We have been struggling with this issue at our O'fest committee meetings. Historically the D.S. and A.C. are the most popular events at O'fest and are also day long. If we schedule the "2002" day for Monday or Tuesday we will force many '02's to to miss one or the other. If we schedule later in the week and most want to attend D.S. and/or A.C. then we force everyone to be there all week. This is one reason we are holding off on a date to see the trend in early registration. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Hamilton

s.r.hamilton@att.net

Guest Anonymous

I've posted this in a couple of places, so forgive me if you've already seen my rant elsewhere!

It's come to my attention that our BMWCCA hosts are in a bit of a quandary regarding what to do for us 2002 owners going to O'Fest this July. So far, what I see happening is nothing like a 2002 Fest (like Fest West) or even a small piece of one. At this stage it looks like a regular Oktoberfest schedule of events out there, with the organizers half-trying to fish around and see if any 02s will show up for Autocross and Driving School!!!

What I fear is that it's starting to look like the traditional organizers of O'Fest whom usually cater to the newer and/or "M" crowd are just not totally clued into what it is we like to do. I list below the comments of Steve Hamilton who is clearly listed on the page on the site as the contact person for event organization.

Personally, I'm a 14 hour drive to Keystone so I'm closer than most of you. But before I go and plunk down the $150-200 night for a condo rental plus entry fees to this event, I would want a couple of things clearly spelled out:

1) A place where we could all setup our cars and talk shop like always

2) A grill badge that says 2002 (which they are advertising)

3) The July/Oktoberfest version of the 2002 "harmonic convergence"

similar to 02-02-02 Spartanburg and Texas

4) The hope that all of us at the end could line up and take a jaunt down

the road together so people could see the cars again like they did at

Fest West (but not get lost!!!!)

Last but not least, is a day dream I have every now and then:

5) Hopefully, some form of an event where recognition of the 2002

as the car that truly started the club itself took place

So, I suggest you all take a moment and enlighten Steve Hamilton, who's totally on the listening end at BMWCCA's committee, with an email as to your wants and needs for O'Fest (even if you're not going) as I have done.

Otherwise, I'll save my hotel and gas money and see you all at the other fests we do around the country in the east, Midwest and of course SLO.

Regards,

Keith

'74tii - Stella

http://www.my2002tii.com

Guest Anonymous

This is a repost from well down the page. Sorry, but it seemed timely.

One more thing . . . I know Steve Hamilton, and his intentions about the 02's are good - he's an owner and enthusiast. He has stepped forward to try and understand, accomodate, and really involve the 2002 owners with the club, where Richard and I had essentially told the local chapter to "stick it." But I do also share Keith's perspective that this year was going to be something special for us 02ers (ala Spartanburg) and that, somewhere along the line this has become more of an afterthought and not much of a priority.

So if there is one thing that can characterize 2002 owners is their resourcefulness. Look at your car, its parts, its condition, this board, our nationwide Fests. This BMWCCA is really no different - if they won't do it, then we will. Richard and I have no issue with taking this on. But, if we do this for the collective "US", then your asses had better be driven out here in an 02.

Richard and I are talking right now about putting something together for 2002's both at the time of the O-fest and prior to it(Looking at may 18/19). We put on a Rocky Mtn Fest in conjunction with the local chapter of the BMWCCA last year that was pretty successful and a ton of fun.

Currently, we are a bit at odds with the club's need for meetings and over-killed structure for our purposes. We have thought long and hard about doing something on our own just for the 02's. We pretty well have a location nailed down - The Boathouse at Evergreen Lake, which is an easily accessable and drop-dead gorgeous mountain site 30 miles west of Denver and 50 miles east of Keystone.

If there is enough interest from fellow 02ers from around the country we will host something. We don't want to take focus away from the O-fest activities, but if the desires of our little group aren't being met by the club, we will take it upon ourselves. All we ask is support from all of you(attendence, not $$$).

SO, if this is something WE all want to go to, we can handle it here at this end. I just want some ideas as to the O-fest day that would work best (weekdays are best for the Lake site!) and an idea of how many will attend.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

As a new CCA member, I really didn't realize what OFest was all about; a bunch of fairly strenuous driving events. I got psyched up about going to CO. following Spartanburg. The fees aren't a problem but I'd be driving 1100 miles in my '72 and frankly wouldn't want to thrash it in a driving school or autocross event, despite the fact that everything is basically new except the body. So in the end what would I get for my registration fees? Not much. I'm going to use my time off to go to Fest West. (And Keith, I know you'll be there)