anyone with efi (L jet) experience?!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

just a couple of questions as i am thinking of going down this path:

1. what are the disadvantages to using the stock computer? would it be ok to tide me over until i can afford an aftermarket unit?

2. with a more or less stock setup from e30 318i what kind of performance would i be looking at compared to say a single weber 45? i have a slightly higher comp. bottom end and a reground cam (~284deg).

thanks in advance

ozgeorge

Guest Anonymous

what do you mean better?

one of the reasons i am thinking of doing this is for the possibility of forced induction down the track.. but im thining about mid-term performance/drivability (ie until win lotto).

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Your right, it's just the time involved. Once you do all this will your numbers on the track really improve? Have you tweaked with and perfected the stock mill with carbs? A tii motor will perhaps be just as a good improvement. Nothing to add re the swap so sorry for wasting your time. I am looking into doing a M42 (E30 318is) conversion that will yield 175+ at the rear wheels. Just something to consider, best; -A

P.S. Perhaps El-Jet can add some advice? ;)

Guest Anonymous

Not too easy I'm afraid, of course I have absolutely no experience with that swap...but I am going turbo by the end of this year with my M10 (73tii), either using a Megasquirt (not assembled yet) or this Autronic SMC sitting in front of me.

As for the original question, I can say that the factory EFI is sufficent for stock applications and perhaps some mild mods. The thing I don't really care for is the stepped "TPS" 3 steps vs. true TPS with it's variable TPS pot. on the throttle shaft. I have done endless searches on this FAQ..and I am stashing away a 318i manifold/fuel rail, 5.0 Mustang TB, EFI fuel pump, etc, etc...

Guest Anonymous

the engine is quite big. there used to be a website about a guy who did one of these.. nice results but not for the faint of heart.

the cutting you talk about for m20 conversion takes about 10 minutes with an angle grinder and could hardly be considered "hard". i dont have much experience with s14 swaps... but the block is essentially the same. price is probably more for the m42 swap as well

Guest Anonymous

It's a neat motor, but you'd be better off just driving a '91 318is.

You'd have to: fab a new oil pan; fab headers; replace the steering box with a rack; modify the firewall and tunnel; fab motor mounts; modify the radiator setup; and do a lot of plumbing and wiring. When all is said and done, you don't have 175hp at the rear wheels unless you spend a lot of $$ on that M42. They're about 140hp stock, and hi-power parts don't come cheap for that motor.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Nearly six months have passed and still no end in sight, and each puzzle solved unfolds a new one. Wiring is much more challenging than I thought possible. Unless you know, understand, have the full time, attention and money, I suggest you stick with carburation.

Ciao,

Andrew

Guest Anonymous

If i can get some more free time together this weekend, maybe, i can get it posted. at least the text part. Ive been working on it when i get a free minute now and then! (M.Kubani is the author!)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

It really is not that bad, but I have EFI experiance. I would reccomend you look into the Mega Squirt, it is not that much harder and it works much better for me. If you plan on going forced induction, Mega Squirt or something like it is a much better option. Feel free to E-mail me with questions, I had L-jet before my Mega-Squirt system.

Good luck

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 Mega Squirt EFI

66 Turf 2000a