More work, all day, on TAR. REAAAAAAAL FUN

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

day2.jpg

Yuck and OUCH. My hands are killing me! Not because I was constantly scraping very tough goey tar and contact cement off, but from my new idea to use PAINT THINNER in the last few hours to get off the contact cement. It works great, both to get the cement stuff off and finding every little damn scratch imaginable on my hands. I was wearing gloves too and they got... "well saturated" in the stuff.

99% of the total tar is off and mmaaaaybe 50% of the glue junk that is left after the dry ice. Thats one nice thing about the ice, it takes the paper, tar, and glue with it, all frozen in chunks. For the most part.

Bill, ya missed a show today, where were ya? All the fun stuff is over, for now =) Thats another thing, if ya want any help on getting the tar out I'd be up for it as Ive atleast already done it.........

Anyway below is the rear trunk wall piece, the first place entirely rid of tar and glue! WOOHOO I did work on other places today, quite a lot but thats just whats 'entirely clean' so far. Now for just the whole rest of the car...

center

Guest Anonymous

That stuff can penetrate your skin (it's not impermeable, after all) and can make you sick. Several years ago I got really sick after cleaning some parts in a parts washer at work with supposedly "safe" cleaner--was told I shoulda worn rubber gloves. Chemical resistant gloves are cheap--use 'em when you're around solvents.

Stay healthy

Mike

Guest Anonymous

The tar itself isn't horrible, It comes off nicely with that sharp 'schaber' I have there but its the goopy cement stuff thats holding everything down. Also that nasty easy-to-slice-through rubberyish stuff they used to seal seams and anywhere they thought that could use a surplus of weight I guess at the factory doesnt help anything either. Its brushed on EVERYWHERE!!! I want it off and I dont have a brilliany idea for that one yet ... :) The only tar thats left is on vertical surfaces which were kinda hard to get at with the ice. Not much left really but the floorpans are disgustingly just dirty so that might be worthy of cleaning too with some kinda solvent aswell. Oh the many joys of working on the bare bones of an interior...........

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, I didnt even think about that...obviously. I'll put some on under my mechanix gloves, I was just wearing those basically to keep from getting any more blisters than I already have on my right hand from the butt end of whatever tool im using at the time.