oil leak on tii motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

is there any way to stop oil leak on 74 tii engine without having to tear engine apart. It's definitely oil leak, smokes badly after short drive. Should I try changing valve cover gasket?

Guest Anonymous

a leaky valve cover gasket. The header bolts go directly into the area where oil pools in the top of the head. You can see this if you pull the valve cover. Not sure what the current idea is re what product for sealing the bolt threads. Maybe some threadlock or a similar product.

Cheers,

Ray

Guest Anonymous

make sure your oil is "just about" due for an oil change for starters this will help spot the leak

the places that leak the most

...exhaust studs (studs pass through the head into small pockets in the interior casting that allow oil to pool at the threads-on top, on the bottom--some or all of the studs pass through the head into oil return journals. Oil follows the threads out of the head and onto (and sometimes into) the exhaust.

...distributor housing. The distributor housing houses more than just the distributor. In my opinion a bad design also lives there. High pressure oil flows through the head and into the distributor housing to lubricate and oil pressure is measured there also (small "sensor" next to the dizzy where it meets the housing. Additionally, that oil is directed through the casting to and around one of the bolts (the one when viewed that has the brass "sealing washer" on it) Another location of leak the distributor shaft seal-- just an o-ring around the distributor. The seal can go bad--

The bolts could loosen, the housing could be cracked... This all takes place happily above the exhaust downpipe-- a source of high heat--- hence smoke.

Valve cover. Did you replace it the last time you did your valves? Okay, then did you under or over tighten your valve cover? These leak too. But are easy to fix as long as you did not warp your valve cover.

Then front timing covers-- upper, lower, at front main seal and at the pan. These can be bad, messy, nasty leaks but they don't (in my experience) produce a smoking car unless the leak is bad enough to cover the exhaust near the rear of the car. You can check though by getting it really clean and inspecting visually and with a cloth.

Can you tell? I too know your pain.

Good luck

Bill

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://photos.yahoo.com/imprezsti2000

maybe the high temp duratec I think its called basicly a gasket maker I think which is silicon based.

Now regard to smoke problems I have some smoke (white) coming from somewhere near the header as well also I noticed when I pulled teh dipstick I saw some smoke coming out as well. Any thoughts what my problem is?

Thanks,

John