Went on an '02 Treasure Hunt today (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A couple of '02 owners from the southern part of the island had been saying to me that they knew about several interesting cars in their area which could be for sale. Although I am not in the market (yeah, right) I decided to go see them today.

The first one I saw is an euro tii VIN 2714282). I could not believe that this car is being left to wither away under a tree! It is still saveable, though. Rust is still minimum and it has been started regularly, according to the owner's brother in law. Turns out that the owner is a military guy currently stationed in Europe. He sent the car over about five years ago and his family here does not have a covered place to store it.

Check out the pics :

N

This car is in exceptional condition, but the problem is that car was brought to the US by a military man inside a container with his household items and it has never been EPA'd or DOT'd. Check out the dashboard chrome in the pics!

earlydash.JPG

earlyfront.JPG

earlyrear.JPG

earlyseats.JPG

earlyside.JPG

They also showed me this sad Golf squarie. It has been sitting at a local hospital parking lot for four years and is owned by a doctor who does not want to sell it.

,img src=http://members.roadfly.com/puertorico2002/golf.JPG' alt='golf.JPG'>

Sorry for the long post!

HarryPR

Guest Anonymous

1600001 and ran thru 1650000; rhd Euro '02s began with 1650001 and USA '02s with 1660001. Thus the VIN you copied (1625964) is most likely correct. Interesting...the car has the "sport" steering wheel and the 4 way flasher is mounted under the dash vs to the left of the instruments like on the US cars.

The owners better get the white tii under cover pretty soon; those wet leaves are gonna rust out the heater plenum chamber... Save 'em!

Cheers from the mainland

Mike

Guest Anonymous

my car was purchased in Germany by the original

owner and driven around Europe for three months

before being shipped to San Francisco.

Ethan

Guest Anonymous

The tii is registered and was, in fact, run locally until 2001,which is the last registration sticker it has.

The situation with the Sahara car is that it never went through U.S. Customs nor the local excise tax department, so for all effects and purposes it does not exist in U.S. soil.

Anyone have an idea of how this could be corrected? It sounds like it would not make Customs happy to know that this car slipped through them.

Thanks,

Harry

Guest Anonymous

My Photos&.dnm=Sickness 3.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t

Maybe we could all at least chip in and buy that poor thing a car cover until someone does! The current owner should be imprisoned.....

Guest Anonymous

I'd love a crack at fixing this problem

and a crack at owning this car. it's a beaut.

If they'd ever consider selling it, please

let me know.

Jerry

Guest Anonymous

and dash chrome around instrument cluster as on my '71 here in Alaska. Bumpers look like 71 also. Did you get the year model on it?

Guest Anonymous

The owner of the Sahara car lives locally and I have left a couple of messages with no reply yet.

The owner of the tii is in active duty in Europe and his brother in law (who is the one "storing" the car), said he would get me contact info.

The friend of mine who took me to see the car told me that the reason why the car was thrown outside and basically left to rot was that the real owner got wind that his brother in law was thrashing the car while using it. The owner then did not renew the registration in 2001 to make sure the car was not used in his absence, so the brother in law parked it under the tree.

Hopefully I will be able to contact the real owner and help save this car. If I can not buy it, I will make sure that whomever does is a true enthusiast who will take care of it appropiately.

Regards,

Harry