• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 project update... am I forgetting anything?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a pile of parts:

87 325is motor complete (near 150k mi)including oil cooler

87 325i harness, ecu, afm

88 325i in tank high pressure pump

81 323i 4 speed transmission

87 325i radiator expansion tank

M20 conversion motor mounts (dan williams)

25 feet of aeroquip socketless hp fuel hose

E30 aux fan

I desperately need some time to start this, a volvo 240 alluminum radiator, or volkswagen rocco radiator, clutch kit, t/o bearing, and E30 battery cable.

then there's the driveshaft...

oh and a 320i shift platform and linkage

of course... the big fucking hammer

Guest Anonymous

bill,

are you planning on cutting out that front radiator support to get your motor in? a few days ago i ran into andrew norleen who has an m20 in his and he said that it isn't necessary to cut. what he did was to line up the tranny first. he used a 528 tranny and butterflied the tranny tunnel, then got a piece of sheet metal to cover it. i'm going to go take some photos of his car, ie motor mounts, tranny support (he used the e30 tranny support), etc... i'll send you some photos if you like.

i believe that his car was the only one at the show that had a later model m20 engine, aside from someone who was selling a 323i m20 conversion?

when does the building begin?

Guest Anonymous

(E21 also). In 1987+ BMW went away from the pre-pump/surge tank/high pressure pump to a single pump in the fuel tank. For the 1991 E30, this fuel pump had an integrated return line coupling.

This is a very easy upgrade. The street price for a good-used pump is $50-$60 with occasional bargains on eBay.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

less banging, less cutting, plus-- it was the only 323i transmission that I could find over the last 6 months.

Guest Anonymous

for now, engine removal, battery relocation, and fuel line installation are about all that I have time for.

I understand that other transmissions will work if you are willing to cut and section the transmission tunnel--- I'm not willing to do that.

I am however willing to cut the radiator support because it will allow me to install my Volvo radiator, will allow more room for future maint on the front of the engine, and I am convinced that the bent tubing frame that I intend to replace the core support with will be stronger than the factory one is and will provide greater support for the hood hinges as well.

Keep yer' eyes peeled for updates-- ther-a cummin'

Bill

Guest Anonymous

I intend to have new exhaust bent but I STILL NEED ANOTHER FRONT MANIFOLD for the rear. I'm told (but am not sure if it works) but it stands to reason that if I use two front exhaust manifolds that the routing of the exhaust is easier to achieve with that angle than having both manifolds exit in the same place (center).

As for the throttle bracket and cable I plan to fab up a bracket from flat stock and use the early cvcc cable as was done in the "6 into 2 does go" write-up

Wire diagrams--- ah hell who needs those.

I plan to cross reference between e30 and 02 manuals (that'll be a bitch)

all very nice catches though- thanks for posting

Guest Anonymous

If ya think you need any help on anything that I could help on I'd be up to it if you dont already have any extra hands around. You helped me a lot on that damn tranny.

Sounds like a good project, Im still unsure what exactly im going to do with my '02 to strip it down for paint and interior work. Kinda just want to dip it but thats $$$$$$$$......and in Portland (more $$).

Im workin on mine just about all the time if ya wanted to just see what it looks like now id probably be out there. . . .check out my post a few above this for an idea tire.gif.

Cya later

Goodluck

-Justin

Guest Anonymous

from under the carpet before I get the shiznit together to do mine...

So it's the mutual benefit association!

t

• 3 months later...