rear brake drums

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Dear all,

I'm hoping to learn from you how to solve a problem with the right rear wheel of a 1967 1600-2 getting warm, or say hot. The brake is dragging a bit, and I have no clue how to adjust it, or even a workshop manual (although i'm looking into that at present) How do I do this, what problems can I expect, and what is the most likely original issue (before I create umpteen more problems myself) ? Misadjustment of the shoes, cylinder rusted stuck ? What parts will I need ? In fact I want to know anything you care to write up or has been written up already somewhere (links welcome).

I'va been warned that you lot will be after my VIN, but I'm afraid I don't have it here. You'll have to do with "1967 BMW 1600-2 in cream white" for now. :-)

Best regards, and thanks in advance,

Cris

stenella-at-yucom.be - replace -at- with @ if you actually want to mail.

Guest Anonymous

Most likely, the adjusters and the cylinder are toast. If you look at the back of the wheel, the brake backing plate, you will see two rounded-off hex heads that used to resemble bolts. These are the adjusters. They are notorious for freezing up, which then requires one to remove the drum and soak/heat/beat/vise-grip the adjuster until it turns. Then they're good for about a month before they need to be lubed, or they'll freeze again.

Once you have the drum off, replace the cylinders, shoes, springs, everything--unless you're lucky and that's all been done recently. Most likely you're running on cylinders at least 15 years old, maybe even originals. The parts don't cost a whole lot, and brakes are really nifty things to have. Be sure to bleed the system and adjust the shoes to a _slight_ drag when you're done.

If none of this makes sense, you haven't read the Haynes manual that you found in the trunk when you bought the car (it's a standard period accessory). If it's missing, buy one at your local auto parts store.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

lisabad3.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/02s_online/links.html

see if your local shop will sell you a can of ZEP 45... its like WD40 took a few hits of some strongass crack and then ate some steroids. its great stuff!! does wonders for stuck stuff!! they dont sell it to the public because its SO fuckin good!! (and toxic, i think!!!)

most likely the cyls are rusted... get a pair of channel locks and break em loose, then attack the adjusters. HTH and good luck!!

-Rob