Electric fuel pump woes.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am having the worst damn luck with electric fuel pumps. PO put a 320i head on the car..so no place to put mechanical one.

-Came with the basic square tic-tic-tic pump. Worked okay unless it got really hot in a parking lot. The pump would make loud ticking sounds and starve for fuel until I got the car moving.

-Put an in-tank pre-pump from e30 with pressure regulator. Worked pretty well, but without a return line on the car there was no place for excess pressure to go. Kept flooding the carb with gas.

-Tried a Wallbro pump that has a built in pressure regulator. Lasted 3 friggin weeks! Got hot outside, started to make LOUD tapping noise and just quit.

-Taking my chances for the autox this weekend with a tic-tic-ticker again.

Is the 6000ft altitude the problem. Gas has a lower boiling temp here(?)...so am I just vapor locking?

Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

image002.jpg

URL: http://www.hbci.com/~tskwiot/2002.html

It is just like bending up big steel brake lines! (Only the pressure is much lower) Braze a return fitting (piece of 5/16" line) in the tank, or in pickup if you don't have one.

I added a new 5/16" steel line for my efi, used old steel line as return. I (like a few others) welded thru the plastic one when repairing rocker rust on the car and didn't want to use it at all after that!

Tim

Guest Anonymous

line from the rear that comes up to the firewall which i assume is the vent line from the charcoal cannister in the rear... seems like it'd make a good (but small maybe) return line for a fuel pump. Good luck with it and keep us posted as to how it goes...