How much to lighten flywheel for dual sidedraft setup...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have dual sidedraft Mikunis,a Super Sprint Header, 292 cam with a port and polish double springs and all. I have a couple of flywheels and was wondering first if anyone has had good experience with this and second what was the total weight when finished.

thanks a shit load..

Guest Anonymous

If you want a little lighter flywheel, go to the 215mm flavor. If you want a really light flywheel, spend the bucks and get an aluminum one.

If you want a grenade right next to your legs, experiment on your flywheel.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

he was auto-Xing and shaved his flywheel for faster windup (nearly impossible to prove if you're running stock. . .). He ran a couple seasons, and had to pull the tranny for some reason, his flywheel broke into multiple pieces from the force of the tranny removal.

Kinda like Dirty Harry said. . . "do you feel lucky. . ."

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

These are steel flywheels, high quality and can take pretty much lightening without any risk. Balancing is must of course.

Tommy

Guest Anonymous

lightening my 02 flywheel when he miked/polished my crankshaft and his answer was "no problem--we can take a pound or two off the outer edge in half-moon shaped "bites" between the pressure plate bolt holes. We do it all the time with no difficulties." And in today's litigious world, I don't think he'd do the work if he expected a problem.

Put a lightened flywheel in my Renault 4CV (!) years ago and have had no problems since. Really makes that little engine rev a lot faster with no loss of idle smoothness.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Lots of aircooled VWs running around with lightened flywheels. Helps acceleration Greatly! But the extra mass helped the low powered engine keep the revs up on the freeway, up hills and towing monstertrucks. I've had several that were cut down from factory flywheels and had no problems at all up to 140-150 hp. I have also seen several high power imports running lightened (and aluminum) flywheels.

Guest Anonymous

We made one for a 2002 racecar out of 1/4" steel plate. You can also buy scatter blankets. For a street car I'd probably try to fabricate one attaches to the tranny itself or to the inside of the tunnel. The one on our racecar was inside the passenger compartment. Might be worth "piece of mind".

Guest Anonymous

i had ireland engeneering do mine and it it FINE!!! i dunno what the final weight was but it is a 228 and ended up lighter than the 215 that came out.... just have someone that knows what theyre doing cut it and you wont have any problems!