• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOT: With all the Engineers, I need some help with school c

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im entering my last year as a high school student(class of 2004), and Of course, with all the budget cuts, Our counslers dont give a rip about the students. Im looking into Mechanical Engineering. If anyone has a school they would like to recomend I would like to here from you. Sence this is not BMW related, Please E-mail me off line at Easterratt@hotmail.com

Thanks

Andy Rattley

1971 2002

1975 2002

Guest Anonymous

how good are the grades? SATs? Got money to spend?

a lot of state school will charge a lot more for out of state students.

MIT has the highest suicide rates of all schools in the nation. Don't mean to scare you, just a fact.

CA: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. You will also get to hang out with Rob T. UCLA, Davis Berkeley. Theae are all public schools. I wanted to go to Cal Poly, but ended up in Davis.

good luck with your decisions!

steve

Guest Anonymous

Go to the best perceived school you can get into. Don't go to a school that you perceive has a good program if industry doesn't also have the same perception. Don't fool yourself into going to a lesser school thinking you'll get better grades. If you do OK at a good school, everyone still wants you. If you do really great at a mediocre school, they may not even look at you. For example, I'm from Texas and went to UT (at the time ranked #13 for ME). All the fortune 100 companies interviewed at UT. I knew others from TX Tech, U of Houston, UT Arlington, and SMU - all decent schools. However, only a select number of the forutnue 100 interviewed at these schools, if at all. Even now, when I'm involved in the hiring process, we rank new graduate candidates by school first, then look to class rank. There are only a few schools we'll even look at.

BTW, I like UT.

Guest Anonymous

to move to a place that has jobs. I agree that if you are in a limited market go to the best school you can get into, but, I live in So-Cal and I have never been unemployed for more than 4 weeks in 25 years. I went to a local school Cal-Poly Pomona, (barely on the radar). I was accepted to UCLA; Cal Tech; Cal-Berkley, but, I went to the place that gave be a swimming scholarship (spelled: free college).

When I hire people I really could care less what college thay are from. In fact I find myself shying away from people trying to ride their Alma Mater into a job. I want people that can learn (every job is different) are adaptable, with good character; and with decent engineering skills...

Guest Anonymous

detroit8_t.jpg

URL: http://www.sae.org/students/schools.htm

Preferably pick a school that participates in Formula SAE, Formula Lightning, or some other nifty vehicle project. I went to a small, private, high-dollar engineering school in Massachusetts, and I've since learned that I would have been better off at a large state school that had more research dollars.

The image is a Cal Poly Pomona F-SAE entry.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

University of Washington Drooooools over my schools CNC capabilities and other capabilities. Plus in a smaller school like mine, not as many people participate, therefore you have a biger part in doing the work.

My schools custom 510cc V8 engine is proof of this.

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

One of my 'next' projects will be a street legal single seater electric hot rod. Light, dangerous, fast, short range. Composites rule!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

it's totally gone overboard with technology... most schools spend a year researching... 1 year building a car... and 6 weeks of testing... this is supposed to be a weekend racer for the avg guy to compete in.. not a 600cc F1 car.. I did it for two years and was disgusted at the pandering of points and the lack of driving skill.. 8 piston custom titanium brake calipers are not an advantage that should be rewarded when a simple willwood off the shelf unit will do 95% of the job.. On top of it.. that particular team was having brake problems.. it's become a how light can I make this.. and how much cool f1 style crap can I jam in here to impress judges.. it's sick.. sure they may look pretty on paper.. but in reality.. they're all maintenence nightmares.. no one rarely uses anything off the shelf.. K.I.S.S. the racers phrase has no realm near 2000 ego charged engineers all making radical changes to their suspension at the last minute.. I would highly doubt the avg weekend racer needs a 6 way adjustable penske remote resivour adjustable shock.. nor could justify the price/performance and very few teams have the ability to know if their changes are for the better or not.. most of the drivers.. drive like hammered shit.. jerking the wheel.. stabbing the brakes.. few ever are smooth.. there are about 20 teams that have a tuned race ready car.. and about 15 of them have way way way to much money... not to say a custom v8 isn't cool... but in the real world.. you couldn't manufacture that on a low run production with any marketable sucess.. it is pretty cool that you guys built your own v8... i respect that creativity.. on the flip side.. it's kinda dumb cause parts availablity... camshafts.. crank shafts.. valves etc.. are prob custom pieces which are cost prohibitive.. I have no idea why I vented against your post... but it's 3:30 am.. so who knows..