Help with wheel offsets please...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ths916m3/myhomepage/auto.html?mtbrand=AOL_US

I need the wheel offsets for the carb'd 2002 and the 320i. What offsets can I safely use on my car without problems? A 1973 carb'd 02 with "big brakes" (320 rotor/volvo caliper). I have 14in Panasports now, but I needed spacers for the fronts. I read that the normal offset is 22mm is that correct? TIA

James S

Guest Anonymous

now, check out the tire rack site (click thru the link on the 2002FAQ links page), they have a great explanation of offset. As for specific offset for your car, we need to know the width of the wheel you want to use, then someone will surely give you the info you want. As for the statement that "22 is the right offset for 2002's" that can't be said, because the offset will change, depending on the (c'mon, you know this!!).........WIDTH OF THE WHEEL!!!

Bret.

p.s.- FYI, 22 offset wheel should work on most 2002's if it's a 7" wide wheel. YMMV depending on many factors, including how much the car is lowered, how fat the tires are that you use, etc, etc.

Guest Anonymous

i needed 1/8" of spacer. For 205-55-14 Toyo RA1's

With e26 7x15" OZ's, I run 1/4" with S03's

And that's as close to the strut as ya wanna get.

t

Guest Anonymous

will 6inch wide 14in e30 basketweaves fit over my volvo calipers? also, are the vented rotors those ones with slots sort of longitudinally down the middle? some guy is trying to sell me vented rotors that look almost exactly the same (ie solid) as my old ones...

Guest Anonymous

double check the "width" of the rotor itself to be sure it will fit between calipers. Alpina vented rotors used a special hub and calipers to get needed clearance.

Guest Anonymous

If stock offset is 29mm w/ a 4.5" rim, offset will

change by 1/2 of the increase in rim width. So a 5"

rim would have an offset of 29mm munus .25".

Does that sound correct? I'm a little rusty/lazy on

the metric conversion.

Guest Anonymous

units - the rotors are internally vented and much thicker than 78 & later solid 320 rotors which are much too thin to use with Volvo calipers.

You should have no clearance problems with the E30 BBS style wheels, at least if they're the same 14x6.5 units that came on US spec 318 and 325 iS E30's.