tii alternator upgrade idea 115 amp from a Porsche 944

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33573&item=2416599425

Ok on my search for a tii alternator upgrade. I think I may have found it. Not 100% sure it will fit but would like you guys to take a look. The Porsche 944 uses a 115 amp alternator and it looks very similar to the tii one except for the pulley. I don't think changing the pulley will be an issue, but won't know until I go get one. check out this ebay link.

Guest Anonymous

The mounting tabs on this are the wrong size and orientation for a 2002, so you're messing with fabrication before you even start to worry about whether you can get a pulley to line up. Also, the price is about twice what you'd spend on a tested good 65 or 80 or 90 amp used Bosch from a 1980s 3 or 5 series that would be a hell of a lot easier to fit and provide plenty of juice for an 02 with driving lights and a bigass stereo to boot.

Guest Anonymous

I have been searching unsuccessfully to find the best alternator upgrade for the special tii-only bracket dimensions.I have found out how to do it and I will share it here. We kept the tii brackets and fabricated ( welded) a longer inner tube for the largest bolt hole on the alternator - just measure the stock tii inner tube and replicate it in length and press the "new" inner tube into a Bosch 41x ( used in 528, 733, 633). Also transfer the pully from the stock tii alt. to the 41x. The Bosch 41x has 65 amps, it has internal V. reg. (i.e., an attached volt. regulator) and it is relatively cheap when bought as reman., or even new. And you can find them everywhere. This is the way to do it. Everything lines up, you have plenty of juice to run auxiliaries, and you dont have to spend money and time exploring the unknown with other marque's stuff.I dont know if the 318 ti alternator that puts out 85 amps is configured the same way. If it is , then that is even better. What I have described for the 41x seems to be the cheapest / easiest way to go for a tii alt. upgrade. We just did it for my tii and my mechanic has been doing this exact swap for years and he says it is the best way to upgrade from the stock 45 amp tii alternator. A bonus is that you rid the car of the external v. reg. I hope this helps anyone who wants to do the upgrade. I know i have wanted to upgrade for a long time, but my search results were always yielding unuseable information about 2002 upgrades that dont apply to the tii.///

Guest Anonymous

I've got a 530 alternator with the shorter '02 style mounting ear in my tii. I just used a 1" or so long piece of tubing to make up the space.