2002 engine in to a 16o2?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What all is going to have to be changed to do this. I found a motor to drop into the 68 but I am not sure if it will be as good of a deal as the motor. Will I have to change clutch,pedal box & master cylinder?? Anybody who can think of what I will need to do please drop me a line or respond.Thanks-David Furey

Guest Anonymous

1. Clutch hydraulics--easier to find a later pedal box --from an '02 with a VIN higher than 1665200--than try to adapt your 1600 pedal box.

2. Change out right motor mount bracket for later style--hopefully your '73 engine has the bracket still bolted on. Early brackets are prone to stress cracking.

3. Use later 5 blade fan--the 4 blade from the 1600 won't do the job

4. If you ever change the tranny, remember your 1600 has a 6 bolt guibo (not the same as a 320's) and 02's use an 8 bolt, so you'll have to swap out drive shafts. And your car has a long neck diff, so changing driveshafts means either finding an '02 driveshaft from a car with a VIN lower than 1664760 or swapping diffs, driveshafts and rear subframes from a later '02.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

1600).

Don't worry about the clutch. The mechanical clutch will work very well with the early '68 motor (and later motors too). You really don't want to change out the pedal box unless you're willing to also make major changes to your brakes (your brake master is mounted to the pedal box, right??). That means new pedal box, new master cylinder, new brake booster, new front lines, new calipers and a new rear brake line.

I'd leave the driveline and tranny alone, at least until the diff dies. Your driveline is actually the envy of the rest of us because BMW used replaceable U-joints on it (be sure to lube them!).

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

Your driveline is actually the envy of the rest of us because BMW used replaceable U-joints on it (be sure to lube them!).

I have not been able to find replacement "u" joints for the early driveline. Do you have a source? G

Guest Anonymous

history when I was a young and intemperant youth . . .) a 'normal' driveline shop was able to do the work. I would have guessed that Carl Nelson (La Jolla) could source new U-joints. Have you tried him?

BTW: what are you doing with sliding drive-shafts? They certainly don't fit your racecar or your Tii!!!

Cheers!

John N.