• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M3 e30 Pressure Plate/Disc Whos using it?

RoccoGilroy

Just get a JB Racing aluminum flywheel, that's where the money is.  I put one on my hot-rod motor with a stock clutch behind it, as recommended by everyone (including Blunt, where I bought the clutch.)  Works great.

But I do have an m3 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate.  It seems to work like a normal clutch, I don't notice anything special- flywheel is a little heavy compared to the JB.  It is wedged between an s14 and a 265 though, using the m3 hydraulics and pedals. YCMV.

Clutchmasters has all kinds of solutions for us- 10 different clutch options with an available aluminum flywheel.  One of their kits is actually what's in my wagon behind the s54.  It's great.  Light flywheel, a little bit more spring force than stock for my s54 kit.  If you want something spanky, this is where I'd go.  http://www.clutchmasters.com/2002/

Edit; but they rattle, just like a real clutch...  :)

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 minutes ago, irdave said:

Just get a JB Racing aluminum flywheel, that's where the money is.  I put one on my hot-rod motor with a stock clutch behind it, as recommended by everyone (including Blunt, where I bought the clutch.)  Works great.

But I do have an m3 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate.  It seems to work like a normal clutch, I don't notice anything special- flywheel is a little heavy compared to the JB.  It is wedged between an s14 and a 265 though, using the m3 hydraulics and pedals. YCMV.

Clutchmasters has all kinds of solutions for us- 10 different clutch options with an available aluminum flywheel.  One of their kits is actually what's in my wagon behind the s54.  It's great.  Light flywheel, a little bit more spring force than stock for my s54 kit.  If you want something spanky, this is where I'd go.  http://www.clutchmasters.com/2002/

Thats the direction I want to go! I just didn’t know what size flywheel clutchmasters has. VAC sells a kit, JB flywheel, clutchmasters FX200, and PP for $1035 for the E30 M3. I’m assuming that is 228mm flywheels. Was thinking of going that route. But then the question of the TO bearing still remains.

Im trying to reach 300lb-ft torque with my turbo M10 and modified G240. Need some sticking force.

1 minute ago, mmbingo said:

Thats the direction I want to go! I just didn’t know what size flywheel clutchmasters has. VAC sells a kit, JB flywheel, clutchmasters FX200, and PP for $1035 for the E30 M3. I’m assuming that is 228mm flywheels. Was thinking of going that route. But then the question of the TO bearing still remains.

Im trying to reach 300lb-ft torque with my turbo M10 and modified G240. Need some sticking force.

It's 228.  I think the difference between the m3 flywheel and the 2002 flywheel is a piece of steel in the m3 wheel for the crank position sensor- some sensor for the ECU.  Other than that I believe it's about the same as the 2002.  I know @jimk is using a 2002 flywheel on his s14...  You don't need m3 parts from the aftermarket to get enough clamping force- just get a 2002 kit from CM for how much torque you're making.  You'd want m3 parts if you were using all stock OE parts, but you're not.  Just call CM and tell them what you need- they'll get you what you need.  Then everything is easy.  It doesn't need to be hard.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

7 hours ago, mmbingo said:

if you use an E30 M3 flywheel (228mm), clutch, and PP...do you need an E21 323i TO bearing, or can you use the E30 M3 TO bearing?

A point of reference:

The distance from the crankshaft mounting surface to the friction surface (or bolting land for the pressure plate mount) is 10 mm greater on the S14 flywheel than it is on the M10 flywheel.  This is to accommodate the timing pin on the S14 wheel.

My weighing shows both to be the same or nearly the same weight at around 17 lbs.

The 323 t.o. bearing would not work well for me because the H diminsion (height from bearing front face to shoulders is 10mm greater than the S14 t.o. bearing.  I had trouble engaging 1st gear and got fed up with it and put in the S14 bearing, all was fine.

Then a bit later I installed the M10 flywheel lightened with the 323 bearing and all is fine.

Also the engine came with a fancy/dandy Clutchmasters kefvlar lined disc and it made the transmission sound like it was ready to crap.  I consulted a friend and owner of a transmission shop who drove the car and said the trans was ok.  He asked what clutch and after hearing said to get the BMW clutch disc.  The torsional system in the Clutchmasters isn't anywhere near that in the BMW disc.  I put in a BMW disc and things quieted down.

Photos are BMW plate, clutchmasters first one side, then the other.

2013 S14 Clutch Plate Replace 002.JPG

2013 S14 Clutch Plate Replace 003.JPG

2013 S14 Clutch Plate Replace 004.JPG

2013 S14 Clutch Plate Replace 005.JPG

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

7 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Just as an unfortunate update, the M3 pressure plate we were referring to no longer exists.  Sachs/bmw sold out about four years ago and superceeded the number with the standard 325i pressure plate

I bought one last year.

My thoughts on the M3 PP is that it is fine; I'm using it for the Turbo since those PPs ARE REALLY NLA. The HP and Torque are close between the S14 and the Turbo so I went that way.

the Diesel PP sounds interesting, but it is hard to find the pressure values in the literature.

I always caution against the HD (have used this for many years) or motorsport PPs for two reasons; one, if you drive in stop 'n go traffic or very hilly terrain like San Francisco much it is a PITA "on-off" situation. Second and more importantly, it will put additional stress on the center thrust bearing of the crankshaft which may wear quickly and prematurely.

But if that isn't an issue for you........the S14 PP is a nice "upgrade".

37 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

the Diesel PP sounds interesting, but it is hard to find the pressure values in the literature.

No it's the friction Plate that is used from the Diesels. Pressure Plate is e30 M3

I have a different setup for my car. I have found one of the überrare Fichtel&Sachs Sport MF228 pressure plates with a compound  aluminium/steel pressure plate like the 911s had (in 200mm).

But I was pretty lucky to find this - it's one of two I know of.

SG104695.JPG

SG104699.JPG

52 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

I bought one last year.

My thoughts on the M3 PP is that it is fine; I'm using it for the Turbo since those PPs ARE REALLY NLA. The HP and Torque are close between the S14 and the Turbo so I went that way.

Then you you have a nice 325i variation.  If you’d like to confirm, what was the part number on the box?

Adding more data: Some speciality clutch vendors can modify a pressure plate to give it more clamping force; they do this by disassembling the pressure plate, heat-treating the diaphragm on a ‘mold’ (form) to a modified different shape, and then reassembly (usually with extra straps). Combine with a disc to suit your usage. It’s what I do on street-performance and the race cars, too. -KB

Sachs # 3082-005-336 for the S14 vs. 3082-005-134 for the 325i

Now if BMW did the super-cession you are right, but Sachs didn't. I didn't get my unit from BMW because even with my 40% discount it was more than other sources.

Disc for the 325td 8164-919-001 is the same as the 325i while the 324d is 1864-906-002

Yup, but if you want the longer throwout bearing, you want the 323i throwout-  M10's got the standard, shorter one.

Sachs/bmw sold out about four years ago and superceeded the number with the standard 325i pressure plate.

and their parts now come through with Made in China stickers on them.  I no longer use Sachs.  They may still be fine.

I am not fine with their decision.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

I want to go the FX200 route, but I thought you said the kevlar clutch is junk!?!

And with this, you used an S14 throwout bearing, correct?

On an M10 with a G240?

Edited by mmbingo

7 hours ago, mmbingo said:

I want to go the FX200 route, but I thought you said the kevlar clutch is junk!?!

And with this, you used an S14 throwout bearing, correct?

On an M10 with a G240?

don't recall saying that...

S14 M3 TOB with 245 and JB racing flywheel

i don't own any M10's....

Edited by mlytle

2xM3